[nfbmi-talk] Straight Stuff

Christine Boone christine_boone at comcast.net
Sun Mar 20 02:20:45 UTC 2011

Mary Ann,

Today I went to a baby shower for Jackie Paulding.  She and Tim are to have a little girl some time in early May.  Now you are wondering what possible relevance this could have to the discussion that has been taking place under this subject line?  Well, as it happened, there were some young women  in attendance who have been campers at Camp T.  One of them is graduating this spring, heading to college in the fall, and wishing to attend the summer program at BLIND Inc in Minnesota.

What do you suppose?
Her counselor quit.  Actually she transferred to another office but I just happened to learn that at the Board meeting.  As far as this young woman knew, the counselor had simply quit and, you guessed it, no word from the commission since that time.  Who will her new counselor be?  How can she find out?  Who should she go to in the mean time?  Who knows.  This is a customer who is preparing to attend college.  Arrangements should be made for Commission assistance with tuition and fees and this is the time to be getting all of that done, and the commission is no where.

What's more, this customer is not from the southeastern part of the state.  She is from the West.

As I was walking back from the shower in this beautiful afternoon sunshine, it occurred to me that, during the past year and a half or so,  I have not ever encountered a commission customer who was really being served properly.  And yes, I have been a VR counselor.   I had a quota, and you know what? I had a large caseload, although not as large as the one Doug had when he was a counselor.  So I know whereof I speak.  This should not be happening.

I will stay in touch with this young woman and try to help in every way I can.
By the way, the shower was really lovely and how much fun it was to see so many good people

In spite of my great passion for this work, now I must walk away from this thing.  It is time for me to turn my full attention to earning a living for myself and my family.  I love this field, and I love the blind people of Michigan even more, but my heart and my bank account are squeezed as much as they can bear.
The state, with its deep pockets and unscrupulous lawyers, will appeal for years, even if I am fortunate enough to win my arbitration.

I'm not going away, just moving on.

I love you all!

Christine

P.S. Yes Joe, I will write about the insulting and disrespectful actions of Assistant Attorney General Michael King in another post, but not tonight.