[nfbmi-talk] regarding the commission board meeting

Lydia Schuck laschuck at juno.com
Sun Mar 20 22:11:52 UTC 2011

 Hello list friends,  Just to let you know first off that I  get the
digest format, so I only get all the emails together once a day or
whenever the file gets to a certain size.  sometimes my replies seem out
of sequence because of that.  Just can't quite get to email often enough
to get the emails individually....

So by the time I wrote about Michael King, several others had.  In
thinking about it today, when people are called up to talk to the
commission board at the Victor Building, they do not sit near a door, and
could never get away with strolling in an out and writing notes, etc.   I
will try to use my eyeballs to notice at the beginning of the meeting
next time, to ensure that the people called to the table to discuss do
not have easy access to the door, or point it out right away next time.
As a sighted person, I am very annoyed with the disrespect shown to blind
people when sighted attendees use body language like raised eyebrows to
communicate on a separate channel.  I realized I did it with my sighted
daughters while my blind daughter, who talks on and on because of her
autism obsessions, didn't even know I had had a communication with one of
her sisters while she rambled on.  Had to really work on stopping that,
because it encouraged my sighted daughters in bad behavior.

I sometimes make comments about needing to be made useful as the "token
sighted person".  I am teasing of course, sometimes in poor taste I
guess.   You would need to tell me if I should stop it.  But I will use
my token sightedness to try to keep that kind of bad behavior from
happening at the board table.  Lydia