[nfbmi-talk] regarding the commission board meeting

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Mar 21 02:55:59 UTC 2011

Dearest Lydia,

I have no problems at all with sighted folks using "body language" per se.
It is one of inconveniences depending upon perspective that those of us
without sight have to deal with. It is a matter of fact and a reality of the
world that no one on either side will ever totally adjust to in my mind, or
opinion. Shoot, I use it myself though it is not always interpreted
appropriately, again in my opinion. (And I'm damned well ready to right the
record in the common use of the word, printed, and accessible word as I am
now in case the rest of the world doesn't get my drift...lol,..) Man, while
running the boards of a main channel radio reading service for the blind and
others with other disabilities which I proudly pioneered and ran in
Manchester, N.H. during the mid nineties some of my sighted
readers/volunteers and others would say, "They can't see your
demonstratitative activities (as I gestured) (And I used to be quite
gesturing...I talked with my hands and gestured, but also, to my credit also
explained for the audience what was important... Grin... I, Mean after all
you're on radio."

I laughed and said in mild retort, "You're right, and perhaps that is my
Eastern European background to talk with my hands. But, don't forget you can
also hear a smile, a frown, or a cry or a grasp of pain in your voice while
reading the news or in everything else."

Touches, nonetheless go all the way around this merry-go-round and there
isn't much more to be said but that it will go on forever this thing of
trying to translate between the sighted, those who are are blind, or those
with other non-traditional communications issues, and especially those whose
communications issues derive from disabilities.. The real issue and most
especially of those in the public sector is not in interpersonal
communications but with the legal, and civil rights requirements of federal
civil rights laws and that includes of course the famous ADA, subpart e,
effective communications requirements and those required even longer than
the late 70ds for recipients of federal funds including VR agencies like MCB
under the Rehab Act and Section 504. Wow, how screwy  is for any federally
funded especially one like McB to not be accessible, and I mean one hundred
and fifty percent accessible to its customers, employs and public itself. I
mean these are matters of law long violated by the likes of MCB and over and
over documented but not enforced and we must get enforcement of these laws
danget.

Regardless, All of this politically correct stuff to the side it is just
plain snaky to hide from those  of f us ho are blind things that should be
accommodated especially in the public record. I mean this thing goes beyond
my disability or blindness awareness and to an issue of essential democratic
functions here. The reason for reasonable accommodation and in this case to
know through alternative means  just who, what, when, where, why, and who
something is being said, or written is to follow and communicate effectively
and to basic democratic principles including the fundamental principle of
the rule of law over the rule of man that is so essential to our Republic
whether it be a school board or the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

Oh yes, there is the relationship in this context in which abusive sighted
staff of MCB has reportedly belied, and in this context not in "politically
incorrect" fashion but in harmful and illegally fashionable terms one blind
employee by gestures. Here is one anecdote: One former employee noted that a
sighted and, somewhat suspect clerical staff of the BEP program gave him the
"double finger" when this person rightfully asked for data, let alone
accessible data which it was this person's job to provide." Not only did
this derive in this instance to illegal bias and actionable discrimination
on the basis of gender and disability under law, but was profoundly
incomprehensible as to the fiduciary responsibilities at hand to say the
least. And it was only denoted because the official at issue had a trusted
sited assistant who knew not only how to see but also how to see bovine
stuff and illegal activity to begin with. So the matter isn't a matter of
sight or who has it or that sort of thing, but how sight is used, abused,
misued or that sort of thing.

No, one should not feel the least bit guilty about having sight or all of
the other senses for that matter. And no one should be made "artificially
superior or inferior for having absence of any sense". The truebottom line
iis and always will be : "equality of opportunity and not equality of
result..."

Also while self-deprecating, and truly humble in the best sense of the term
I find the term "token blind" to be overly self-deprecating. I understand
where that comes from and am sensitive and am far from deprecating your
intent here. Listen, you are a friend and a colleague and that is and will
ever be true no matter if and when we ultimately disagree on this or that
issue. Your value as a commissioner above that is not based upon your
ability to see, but neither is it diminished by your ability to see either.
In other words, and to be more clear, except in my more angry moments which
are perturbed and albeit truly emotional, and reactionary at the time,
sighted folks are not our enemy. Nor, are partially sighted folks. In fact I
truly believe that discrimination of all sorts is wrong in the law and the
meaning of the law and that includes "reverse discrimination". I do not have
time to divide personal from legal distinctions herein and most wouldn't
wish to here it from a non-legal scholar, or one who is so-called legal for
that matter...lol...

Regardless, we, or at least I and I think most of us on this list do not
diminish in the least the abilities or the insights of sighted folks.

I'm kind of struck by the opposite in the past several years. And that is
the gross discrimination, the gross perfidy, the gross violations of laws
and rights by some individual people who are blind, including Patrick Cannon
against those who also happen to be blind themselves for their own self and,
most selfish interests. Man, I acan't count hwo many times for instance why
I'm asked why oneblind person, namely why one Pat Cannon would discriminate
against the blind. But, this is a proverbial "red herring". It doesn't
matter in the least in this instance as to the "why". . It only matters not
as to motive in this case for it only matters as to the "what" and the fact
is that Cannon himself and under his dominion has vioolated the "What" as
per access and the ADA and over and over and over ac\gain. That is enough to
have him removed from his office. That is enough, frankly as these are civil
rights violations committeed over and over again ad infinitum to have him
stripped of his pension and other benefits ast they are most wilfull and
egregious civil right sviolations.

Let, us put this in perspective if folks think I'm again hyperbolic. Man, U
of M was stripped of its basketball titals and standings for things
surrounding the "Chris webber" affair. Man, these things I'm talking about
are worse and substantial violations of human, civil and constitutional
rights by state actors. Terry Eagle and others have documented other as
severe federal and other civil rights violations. Where does this stuff end?

Are we as taxpayers and recipients to have our rights denuded by some ssort
of elite that is entitledto our funding and services without impunity or
=are we to demand accountability?

I hope this impassioned appeal to reason and fact based reality makes sense.
But, it makes no difference to me if I am discriminated against illegally by
a blind person (aka token) than it is if I am discriminated against or
persecuted against by a sighted person.

Throughout history in the context of civil, Constitutional and other human
rights did it matter one wit if one was held in bondage by his or her own
gender, race, color, creed, national origin, or disability and so on and so
forth?

No, it didn't matter to the Jew, or Pole, or Slave or Russian or whomever
who was the designated persecutor in the consecration camp even if a fellow
Jew, or whomever was forced to be the persecutor. I'm not trying to be
hyperbolic here either. You, Lydia are a sort of hope to me and I hope you
know that. It doesn't, again mean you know everything. You cannot, anymore
than I can or Larry can or anyone can.
But, you can bring to the table some sort of insight, and some sort of
objectivity, and in this case even some eyesight to see how things are
grossly wrong and illegal and immoral by any standard.

As Ray Berson and so many others rightfully point out for example Ray
Peterson though a sighted person and while having bureaucratic tendencies
was at very least a fair person, one of reason and at least followed the
rule of law. Man, have we seen this from the blind Pat Cannon?

So, though I personally don't know if I'm making myself clear here I do
neither oppose or support you on the basis of sight and never will do so. I
will base ymy judgment of you on your public performance and on your actions
period, as I have in our limited engagements in the past. I also know this
and know it as a more intangible thing being a parent of a child with other
disabilities: I care about caring at the risk of contradiction here too. Man
all of we parents just plain damn give a hoot about what is best for our
kids if we matter at all as parents. And we all put into that effort when
our kids of any aage extraordinary efforts to learn how to educate, fight
legal barriers, and so many things. I as a parent with disabilities a child
with disabilities shared the frustrations  of all the madness surrounding
just trying to make my child the best that she (in my case) could be in the
educational environment.

Again in all the contexts of the myriad of MCB, NFB and other duties and
obligations whether moral, legal or whatever our society in general, in
spite of political affiliation or organizational thing is out of whack, and
all of our children from birth through death are grossly underserved. These
facts are just plain not in dispute.

And to speak more frankly the purpose of the now virtually 1000 old
Vocational Rehabilitation Act and IDEA and other acts that effect all of us
is not to employ, or entitle some chosen few whether blind or not in some
sort of category of an elite entitled class as Pat Cannon and his luckiest
has somehow been dictated or ordained by political perfidy to obtain.

I mean Marcus and others are right in that he, Pat Cannon has written and
divined all of his own evaluations and then manipulated the MCB board
through Machivellian entrigues, including the purging of the likes of
DDonald Bowman through Mark Eagle to create a self-fulfilling prophesacy.
Whow, what wiszardry. I mean this is the only man who can on the one hand
talk about the "bigotry of low expectations" over and over again and who on
the other can come to be the only GS-19 without a four year college degree
after 68 years of life time.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm not a college snob per se and ther are
arguments of course to be made on the issues of "qualifications" versus
"certifications". But Cannnon has neither which defies both substance and
province of m=erit based pay, expectations, and civil service principles let
alone those things liberals like me like including the afforementioned in
addition to union activity and collective bargaining.

But, no Cannon is devoid of any measure accepted except in the political
realm so odious to democratic form and function. Why in the Hell is that so?

WWhy can Dave, Christine, Tomchak, Fellow,s,Brooks, Richard Kent, Terry
Eagle, and countless unsung just plain VR customers of MCB be rroutinely
denied basisc services in violation of all the laws that binds the system in
arbitrary and capricious sstandards without any sort of due process of law
and/or equal protection under the laws of this land.

And here, dear Lydia, and dear all we come in full circle for it is not the
matter of blindness alone that we are fighting for hear, but it is a matter
so seminal to the American experience of fundamental fair play, civil,
constitutional rights and similar considerations that we are fighting fror
here.

Bottom line and while not being perfect itself in these regards NFB's
fundamental principles parrellels those of our democratic Republic in that
they call for "equality,oppurinity, and security". That is NFB's logo. That
is the seminalrestatement of our U.S. Declaration of Independence. And If
the U.S. Constitution with all of its fundamental principles cannot be
invoked for all including extenstions of the 14th Amendment gurantees for
disabled and non-disabled alike then I don't know which planet I'm on, but
want off it.

I love my country but more I love its ideals and fundamental laws and
rights.

I love the Rehabilitation Act and its spawn MCB, but I do not lovethe
malignent, extra-legal, immoral, malfeasant, misfeasant, and dysfunctional
and, cultish family it has become under the corrupt and again extra--llegal
Patrick D. Cannon.

In summation and for the public record I will take one hundred thousand
sighted Lydia's for each and every one, nominally blind PPatrick D. Cannons
and that is not based upon disability but both merrit, actions, behaviors
voer time, and indeed, based upon the difference between personal sense of
entitlement as in tthe case of Pat, and the sense of altruism and public
good, expressed by Lydia and all of her persuation.

While I do not know you well, Lydia, I know you by intent and action and
your intents and actions have always been of goodwill. If I can be of
assistence in any regards please do not hesitate to ask for it.

If you ever think I disagree with you on this or that public issue let you
rest assured I am not bashful...lol. But that you already know... Big
smile...

I would hope that you count on me as a fried who happens to be blind and who
does not distrust or hate or despise folks simply because they ae sighted.

In fact there are, indeed some caseses where you sighted folks come in
darneed handy...And I'nm grinning here as you know the irony in this
situation alone...

Peace, Justice andCommon Bonnds,

Jo

No, there is some us against them going one but, in my mind it isn't us
against the sighted per se, or the partials against the totals, or the NFB
agains the MCBVI, or the customers against the staff, or the this against
that or the Republicans against Democarats. No, this thing is about personal
entitlement and some figures of both genders in both political parties who
think of MCB and other social/educationa/rehab agencies as their personal
entitlement. And that is ugly. And that is venal. And that is evil. And that
is so repulsive that it makes me spit.

Oour mission should be and is designed to be the most effective habilitation
and rehabilitation of people wwho are blind in the concontext of MCB under
federal and state law.

I care only for the bottom line and not for labels and politics. I care only
about actions and not motives for the latter gets messy but the former can
be documented and is quantifiable and beyond pashions of the moment,
including my personal pashions.

Man, some of this is so simple. I mean are directories kept up and
accessable to all? Are personnell of any sort returning phone calls? Are
they responding to needs of all potential customers, or even a portion of
them? The issue isn't where people have a seat at the table in my mind which
we don't, but rather, where even established law is being followed and
wherther or not money earmarked for this or that is spent even remotely
close to what the legislatures, and other governmental forces called for.
These things are documentable and each and every commissioner should have a
an accessable spred sheat along with each and every person who is a citizen
for that matter including those who are of course blind.

Man, this organization cannot and will not account as to how it expends its
money, good or bad or indiferrent.

what someone, in public capacity is saying in