[nfbmi-talk] Accessible Cable Menus

Fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 22:32:00 UTC 2011

Hi Phyllis,

Not sure about the cable thing.  I tried to find out the proper channel
number for CNBC on our system and could not last night.  this was a bummer,
to me.  This is a prime example of our slogan that blindness can be reduced
to a nuisance.  this was definitely a nuisance to me last night and I was
annoyed that the TV provider did not have a simple and accessible means of
finding the correct channel.

Regarding off-list discussions, I understand that you may not wish to
discuss all of your thoughts in a public forum.  You may certainly call or
write to Mary or me with any questions or concerns you may have. There are
certainly others here who would be willing to do likewise, though I will let
them speak for themselves.

I recommend you go to the NFB.ORG website and go to publications and then
banquet speeches and read "Blindness: Handicap Or Characteristic."  If it is
there, another is the "pros And Cons Of Preferential Treatment."  These are
2 foundational expressions of how the majority of our policies and decisions
are formulated.  We talk a lot about philosophy of blindness.  The speeches
on the web page will help you understand where the NFB comes from on a lot
of points. Sometimes our organization can seem of 2 minds.  We are hard-core
about skills and so on.  On the other hand, we accept everyone where they
are and, through our love, work to nurture people and help them to discover
what works best for them, what has worked for us and various strategies for
problem-solving that have worked in the past.

Most of all, we want our members to feel welcome and appreciated where they
are.  This is not to say that there aren't spirited discussions about the
best way to accomplish our goals.  Many, even most, of us are strong-minded
and opiniated.  We are willing to propose positions and defend those
positions.  Most of the time, most of us are willing to concede when we lose
a point.  We want to live to fight another day.  Democracy is like that, we
don't always get our way.  Hopefully we are all mature enough to live with
that.

So, thank you for speaking up.  My email is in the header of this message.
Mary's is marywurtzel at att.net.  Don't hesitate to ask any question.  There
is no bad question.

Warmest Regards,

Fred