[nfbmi-talk] a d a policy

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 00:16:10 UTC 2011

Yes, Jeff. All public buildings including schools must have all permanent
rooms including room numbers labeled with both raised character and
(contracted Braille signs)...The signs must be mounted nearest the latch
side of the door "wherever possible) at 60 inches at the centerline though
that is about to change.

Regardless for only some rooms or only restrooms or only this that or the
other room to be marked is inexcusable. In fact these are civil rights
violations as the Americans with Disabilities Act and section 504 applies to
public schools and these are indeed civil rights laws.

There are Americans with Disability Act Access Guidelines (which are federal
standards) for signage and they are ADAAG 3.40.1, 4, 5, 6. These are
guidelines and requirements forprogram access that I put into my resolution
past at the NFB MI convention relative to MCB facilities. They apply to
schools too.

I am outraged that 21 years plus after the passage of the ADA we have to
fight for this basic stuff.

I'm not outraged at you, at all sir.

But I am outraged at all the people who've ignored our basic rights to know
simple things like where in the heck this or that room is and that includes
the former state ADA coordinator Pat Cannon.

Anyway please feel free to contact me about this ... I'm sorry but I lost my
cell phone at the Kalamazoo Bus station. But you can call me at:
810-5160-5262 land line or you may write me at: joeharcz at comcast.net.

Regardless all public schools and all public entities should be sued right
back to the dark age as far as I'm concerned about this simple to resolve
issue.

I'm sick to death of the failure of these entities to comply with the law.

By the way it was a true pleasure to meet you at convention and you are a
bright and good young man. You are our promise and you are our collective
future.

Thank you for all that you do and thank you for your question. I hope I'm
not being overwhelming in my passion over this issue.

I'm an old man and I'm about out of patience with those who take federal
money and then violate our rights over decades.

Please feel free to call on me anytime and I'll do a survey of your school
too and for free too.

Peace with Justice for All,

Joe Harcz who is old and cranky but not at you sir...