[nfbmi-talk] FW: [Chapter-presidents] colored canes

Fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 21:18:20 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of David Evans
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:26 AM
To: NFB Chapter Presidents discussion list
Subject: Re: [Chapter-presidents] colored canes

Dear All,

The use of the long White Cane is the only universally recognized symbol for

the Blind, even world wide.
Most state statues state that the cane must be White or White with a Red
tip.
The use of the Red tip was originally placed there to show that the person
was not just blind but also Deaf.
As the manufactures of the day found it easier to market the White Cane with

a Red tip to both the Blind and Deaf-Blind, the use of the White Cane with a

Red tip was mostly the only cane you could get.
Mostly the long White Cane is the only real requirement in most States and
both types of canes are recognized as proper tools for the Blind to carry.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
Palm Beach County Chapter President, Florida