[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Awards ceremony

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 19:15:31 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Luzenski, Sue (LARA)
To: MCB2020-L at LISTSERV.MICHIGAN.GOV
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 2:09 PM
Subject: Awards ceremony

I just came back from the annual awards ceremony where MCB honors clients, community partners and employers who have done extraordinary things in the last year.  What a great event - there's always stories that bring tears to my eyes and staff do a wonderful job of telling the "rest of the story", not just talking about the end success but all the triumphs and stumbles along the way.

This year there was an IL client who is 71, was afraid that he would end up in a nursing home because of blindness and is now advocating for the Commission and handing out his own business cards, a daycare assistant director who called the Commission just so she could find someone to empathize with her condition and found employment and a counselor who she now calls a friend, an employer who hired 5 clients between the two counties that he has worked in since coming in contact with the Commission and a couple individuals volunteering their time to instruct in O & M and technology.

Great job everyone on connecting with all the recipients on whatever level necessary to bring great success to MCB clients and good job Susan for a very successful event!! Those are definitely the kinds of meetings I could attend on a regular basis.

Sue Luzenski

Management Assistant to the Director

Michigan Commission for the Blind

201 N. Washington Square