[nfbmi-talk] Faith Meadows Letter

christywitte at sbcglobal.net christywitte at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 25 21:57:51 UTC 2011

    I can definitely see why some people are frustrated and even angry.
However, last time I checked, our job is not to judge others our spout off.
If people could use that energy they feel to accomplish a goal, like getting
a job it would be great. I'm not responding specifically to anyone on the
list. I know that sometimes there are misconceptions about the commission
and what it does and what it does not do. Try to turn your tragedies to
triumphs. Also, blindness is just one adjective to describe us; beyond that,
we come from all walks of life and so we have many experiences and
abilities.  Sometimes, we have to take things in our own hands. If we do not
believe in our own abilities, how do we expect others to believe in our
abilities. We all must forge ahead to achieve success; means something to
everybody. Some of us are very young or very old, may have other
disabilities, difficult lives, varying levels of skills. We are all given a
different lot in life but we need to work within our own parameters to get
things done. The commission can be lacking, this is true, but blaming an
organization, which is composed of many people, doesn't get us a paycheck or
whatever we feel we want and need individually and as a group. We must forge
together and stand together to win our battles. By the way, I've never
gotten assistance from anybody. I think about what I would do in their
shoes; I also consider how much I would want to help or assist someone who
has attacked me. I am not trying to offend others nor am I condoning people
who don't get the job done. I've also observed that many people in my
generation may not fully comprehend their own role in finding employment or
understand what the job is going to involve. You have ask yourself: do I
have the skills necessary for this job and if I want this job, or one
similar to it, how am I going to personally acquire the skills that are
lacking. Many blind people in my age group are unemployed, and many of those
aren't hitting the pavement every day looking for enjoyable employment. I'm
not sure about the reasons. They may feel overwhelmed by the process; they
may feel like they are not equipped with the tools necessary to perform this
job. It is kind of like climbing a mountain. You have to locate and climb to
the higher level.
Sorry about the length.
Christy