[nfbmi-talk] they don't get it at all

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Apr 9 12:28:39 UTC 2012

---- Original Message ------

From: "Joe Sibley" <

Subject: [leadership] Michigan update and our position statement

Date sent: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:53:32 -0400

Hello leadership,

For those interested in the situation in Michigan with the

governor’s executive order you might like to know that it’s

implementation has been delayed so it can be reconstructed to

bring it in to compliance with pertaining laws. Below is the

position statement created by our board addressing the issue. We

are working in a spirit of cooperation and positive dialogue and

we are being very well received by officials in high places.

Others in our community have been picketing and protesting and

demanding it be overturned, but our statement is below. I

welcome your feedback.

Thanks!

Joe Sibley

Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired

MICHIGAN COUNCIL OF THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED

2426 THORNWOOD, S.W.

WYOMING, MICHIGAN 49519

POSITION STATEMENT REGARDING EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2012-2

Contact: Joe Sibley, president

616-724-1650

March 11, 2012

We are the Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired

(MCBVI), the Michigan affiliate of the American Council of the

Blind (ACB). After careful review we wish to make the following

statements in response to Governor Rick Snyder’s executive

order No. 2012-2 which was issued on Friday, February 24, 2012.

While historically it has been demonstrated that vision

rehabilitation programs are most successful when operated as

stand-alone agencies separate from the general rehabilitation

agency, we recognize that there are times when adjustments have

to be made to the structure to make the department more

efficient. This is acceptable provided that there is no

violation of any state and federal laws, PA 260 and the Randolph

Shepard Act, and there is no reduction in the scope and quality

of services.

Michigan Rehabilitation Services is transferred to the Department

of Human Services (DHS) with its mission essentially intact. On

the other hand, the blindness agency is not well defined in terms

of roles, functions, and accountability. This could mean that

services for blind people will be absorbed into either the

general rehabilitation agency or somewhere else in DHS. We are

concerned that services to people who are blind will be adversely

affected. The two agencies differ significantly in the scope of

support and sponsorship offered to clients. It has been proven

that the training needs of people who are blind are unique. In

order to achieve success, people who are blind require intensive

support during rehabilitation that general rehabilitation

counselors are not trained to provide.

MICHIGAN COUNCIL OF THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED

POSITION STATEMENT REGARDING EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2012-2

PAGE 2

March 11, 2012

While it appears to make sense to move the Business Enterprise

Program (BEP) to the Department of Technology Management and

Budget (DTMB), the order does not clarify who will be the

licensing agency as directed by the Randolph Shepard Act. It

also must be clarified just how the Business Enterprise Program

will coordinate efforts with the agency serving the blind.

The executive order does not clarify the rights and

responsibilities of the five- member Advisory Board as it does

the Michigan Rehabilitation Council. This Advisory Board must

have MCBVI membership representation, and have a direct impact on

the quality of services to blind and visually impaired consumers.

As Governor Snyder has always promoted open accountability and

results oriented execution of programs, we trust that this will

continue in reporting the successes and shortfalls of this new

restructured vision rehabilitation program, and any problems in

the quality execution of these programs will be corrected.

While we are disappointed that we did not have any warning or

involvement in the design of this reorganization, we do maintain

that a successful program must include direct involvement by

consumers who are living daily with the challenges that the new

vision rehabilitation program must help citizens to overcome.

In summary, while we have many serious concerns as expressed

above about executive order 2012-2, MCBVI stands ready to

collaborate to insure that people who are blind continue to

receive quality services. We are taking Governor Snyder at his

word and trust that quality services will continue, and trust

that he will be accountable for the results of this

reorganization.

MCBVI Executive Committee

Joe Sibley, President

John Jarzyna, First Vice President