[nfbmi-talk] Minutes, March 29 National Federation of the Blind Board Meeting

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 11 21:46:50 UTC 2012

Minutes, March 29 National Federation of the Blind Board Meeting

Quorum, Yes, Larry Posont, Melinda Latham, Nick Wilcox, Terri Wilcox and Dave Robinson.

Introduction of Participating Members

Discussion of the Executive order. Both the lobbyists and Fred Schroeder reported that last Thursday's meeting went well. The budget for the Commission for the Blind is in both the Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Department and the Department of Human Services appropriations. All senators and representatives have been approached. We cannot and will not compromise on having a separate agency. The government is trying to eliminate the two separate agencies. They want to rewrite the executive order to meet the federal requirement. Mike Zimmer is the Deputy Director with Cannon and Arwood under him Hilfinger is over him. Fred Schroeder and Fred Wurtzel spoke on Thursday. Their testimony was well received. We must know the time factor on the Executive Order. National Federation of the Blind is known in the legislature. the Commission will function until the changes are implemented in the Executive Order. Fred Wurtzel is in charge of interacting with the lobbyists and the national office. Fred Schroeder did a good job at the meeting last Thursday. A question was asked about why the state was willing to move back into the training center without proper signage. We have hit a wall concerning meeting with the Governor. People must call state senators and representatives. People who want to share rooms are needed for National Convention. Some are interested in group rates on Amtrak. It is suggested that youth are brought to the Board Meeting. We will have the Board Meeting in Ann Arbor on May 12 with a fund raiser lunch for $7.00. Dave Robinson is urging the Commission board to take action on the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan resolutions. Newsline came up on the Commission meeting. We got some small checks and are in someone's will. Charlie Brown wrote a letter to the Attorney General's office in Michigan concerning the solicitation license. Gwen Botting is the Executive Director of Opportunities Unlimited for the Blind.

Adjourn.