[nfbmi-talk] again your new boss kandu

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 14:06:00 UTC 2012

Comments by Beth Childress State Plan Public Hearing for the Michigan Commission for the Blind

Kalamazoo Public Comments:

Hello, my name is Beth Childress.  I am making comment on behalf of the Michigan Rehabilitation Council or the MRC.

The MRC is the federally mandated State Rehabilitation Services designated to work in strategic partnership with Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS), the public vocational rehabilitation (VR) program for the general population of people with disabilities.

With the signing of Executive Order 2012-10 by Governor Snyder, the MRC has been abolished.  At the same time, the Michigan Council for Rehabilitation Services (MCRS) has been created and will serve as the State Rehabilitation Council for the blind and general service bureaus.

We look forward to our new responsibilities as prescribed in the Rehabilitation Act, as amended, Section 105.  We anticipate the establishment of a strategic partnership with the Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP) pursuant to our role of reviewing, analyzing and advising the BSBP administration.  Our intent is that our membership will serve as the voice of customers with disabilities, ensuring that the VR system for persons with low vision and blindness are receiving services that upholds the spirit and prescriptions of the federal law as related to employment outcomes.

Thank you for this opportunity to make comment.