[nfbmi-talk] Excerpt From "To Man The Barricades"

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 12:33:33 UTC 2012

Donna, I am one who prefers to be a mediator if given the opportunity.  I
swpend a lot of time just sitting back and listening.  I don't think Fred
necessarily thinks we all have to put on the marching shoes and burn down
Lansing!  Some of us aren't great orators and may even be shy.  But, if we
belong to the Federation, we belong to a group that has a history of
changing and promoting what it means to be blind!  One small example you
might get is when in college I chose to take an advanced ornitghology class.
The professor was very dubious but with an assistant who described what I
heard, I was able to keep a full labortory journal with detailed
descriptions and identifications of everything avian!  I was even better
when it came to behavior and anatomy.  I did really excellent in the class
and gained the respect of the professor.  I only had to insist on a couple
of modifications like the lab assistant who incidently learned from me as
well.  The point is that sometimes you have to be firm and occassionally
demand respect.