[nfbmi-talk] Excerpt From "To Man The Barricades"

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Mon Feb 27 16:07:11 UTC 2012

Hi Donna,

I am sorry if that is what you think I meant.  I didn't.  For some people
getting to a chapter meeting and voting on a motion is all they can manage,
for others it is attending national Conventions being leaders in state and
national divisions of the Federation and being on the PAC plan to give
financially and spiritually.  I believe Dr. Jernigan was speaking to those
who stand on the sidelines and criticize or make catcalls about our efforts.
His words included an open invitation and an understanding that we will do
all we can do for even them, despite their willingness or excuses for not
joining with us.

In my 40 plus years in this outfit, I have known a lot of people.  Some of
them were like the woman in the Bible who could only put a penny on the
alter.  That person was doing all she could do.  For her it was a 100%
effort.  For others it is jetting around the country raising funds building
buildings giving out scholarships and much more.  Everyone's effort matters
and is not to be trifled. I object to the disingenuous claim of being too
busy, too far away, or the myriad of other excuses some people make for not
lending a hand, no matter how humble that may be.  And humility is, to me,
very important.  None of is above any other of us.  I firmly believe in the
saying "that to whom much is given, much is expected."  We are only where we
are through grace and we all ought to realize that.

We want and, especially in this time of trial, need every willing person to
do what they can to help.  None of us can do what needs to be done, alone.
Even making a call to another person to remind them of a meeting is
something valuable. Most of us can find a little time to do something like
that.

 So, I was not pointing fingers at anyone who is already involved.  I was
reflecting Dr. Jernigans pointed invitation to those outside the Federation
to get involved. We want and need everyone we can find to continue to create
an environment where blind people can flourish and where we can all achieve
first-class citizenship.

Warmest Regards,

Fred