[nfbmi-talk] What my Faith Tells Me About Injustice

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 14:19:49 UTC 2012

Dear Fred and All,

Thank you for sharing this sentiment and subsequent ones in subsequent
posts.

Those who struggle for freedom come in all shapes and sizes. I have shared
with you and others, for example that I have engaged in non-violent civil
disobedience fighting for social justice for decades from my conscientious
anti-war protesting to acts of direct action on behalf of all people with
disabilities with ADAPT.

I have been arrested upon several occasions in these efforts. I have stood
with people who make our disability look like a picnic in fighting for
others to receive services in communities rather than being forced to live
in institutions like animals, with the only crime being severe disabilities
as if this were a crime in the first place. One fellow who led me through
one of my first national actions in our nation's capitol had severe CP and
was forced in to a nursing home for several years until he literally escaped
with the help of a center for Independent Living. He could hardly talk and
needed a personal care attendant. Yet, there he was at the barricades. He
subsequently died but he died a free man, and,  indeed , before he passed,
married a sweetheart from the same institution.

What has always motivated me in my battles for liberation of the blind is
quite similar. For in spite of achievements of many, and in spite of the
possibilities we all know of the bulk of those who are blind today,are
living in horrible conditions; in mini-isolation; and at or below the
poverty level. In other words our prospects as a whole are withering  and
not progressing.

One of my nephews at six has RP. Where are his prospects if the current
collapse of educational and other services here continues?

Frankly, the thought both brings me to tears and to boiling points of
righteous outrage.

Now, again we all come in all shapes and sizes. Not all can be or should be
warriors. All could not be Rosa Parks for example. But, all can contribute
to the common cause of social justice and freedom, or as you often say,
"First class citizenship".

By the way, getting back to ADAPT I remember one Washington Seminar where
Bob Kafka and Justin Dart addressed our gathering in the mid-nineties and
joined hands with our brotherhood in common cause.

Now, right now especially here in Michigan where economic times are so
tough, and often desperate for so many and especially for those who are
blind or otherwise disabled, the system such as it is uses the threat of
service denial or of eliminating this or that job as a stick to keep us
inline. That was the whole method of Cannon and, the hacks at MRS for that
matter.

Most folks, including myself by the way, wish to be everyday average "Joe's"
doing this or that job, raising a family, and simply tending our own nests.

But, let's face it. Crow's are stealing the eggs from our nests while we
hunt for ever decreasing grubs on the forest floor.

Those who at a minimum sound the alarm and those who act in defense of the
common good are not the cause of this situation. If the Emporor is naked it
needs only one with child like simplicity to point the real fact of the
matter out.

Regardless, a people united shall never be defeated.

Peace with Justice,

Joe