[nfbmi-talk] yes we can be heroes

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 13:38:24 UTC 2012

Blind woman saves cabbie's life

Updated January 22, 2012 20:49:45

A blind woman has saved the life of a Melbourne taxi driver who suffered a heart attack earlier this month.

Taxi driver Neil Wilkinson was taking Judy Streit to Doncaster shopping centre but on the way complained that he was not feeling well.

As Ms Streit was getting out of the cab, Mr Wilkinson called for help and then collapsed unconscious.

"I'm half out of the car and feeling where the gutter is, and I hear 'Judy'... and that's all I heard," Ms Streit said.

"I put my hand on his chest and I thought, 'oh hell he's not breathing, oh hell'."

Ms Streit called triple-O and followed an operator's instructions on how to perform CPR until paramedics arrived.

Mr Wilkinson has thanked Ms Streit for saving his life, saying he would not be alive today if it was not for her quick thinking.

He says they will be friends for life.

"It's amazing how a person who is vision impaired can do all that," he said.

"Big kiss for you Jude. Thanks darling."

Mr Wilkinson is now in a rehabilitation facility after spending a week in intensive care.

The Victorian Government has praised Ms Streit and the Health Minister has nominated her for a local hero award.

Source:

Blind woman saves cabbie's life - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)