[nfbmi-talk] the mrs aaudit in accessible format or part of it

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 14:36:54 UTC 2012

Because this was not properly paginated I could not convert it until I went through the back door. Regardless, this is relevant to MCB and neither commissioners nor the public get appappropriate documentation about the fiscal affairs of MCB to ensure that programs are run on the up and up.

In fact I wonder if MCB makes the Auditor General go through FOIA to request financial  data?

Moreover, the real issues are not the ones cited herein, but rather systemic issues related to vendor compliance and whether or not MCB counselors and management follow the Rehab Act and PA 260. I mean how many MCB customers even have their IPEs in accessible format? How many are determined eeligable for services within the required time period especially those that are supposed to be fastracked under the 1998 amendments if they are also determined to be legally blind and have SSI/SSDI by the SSA?

And there are of course other issues which have been documented over the years.

Joe Harcz

TABLE OF CONTENTS

 REHABILITATION SERVICE EXPENDITURES

MICHIGAN REHABILITATION SERVICES

DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING AND REGULATORY AFFAIRS

  Page

INTRODUCTION

 Report Summary 1

Report Letter 3

Description of Agency 7

Audit Objectives, Scope, and Methodology and Agency Responses

 and Prior Audit Follow-Up 9

 COMMENTS, FINDINGS, RECOMMENDATIONS,

AND AGENCY PRELIMINARY RESPONSES

 Propriety of Service Payments 13

1. Vehicles and Related Costs 13

2. Equipment Recovery 15

3. Expenditures for Maintenance Services 17

4. Receipts for Purchased Services 18

5. Identity Verification 20

Coordination of Benefits and Services 21

6. Comparable Benefits and Services 22

Viable and Sustainable Employment 23

  SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION

 Exhibit 1 - Office Locations and Service Areas 26

Exhibit 2 - Fiscal Year 2009-10 Expenditures 28

 GLOSSARY

 Glossary of Acronyms and Terms 30

  Description of Agency

  Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS), Department of Licensing and Regulatory

Affairs, offers services to persons who need vocational rehabilitation services to prepare

for, find, and retain a job. MRS serves customers at 36 field offices and 95 Michigan

Works! Service Centers that are located throughout Michigan (see Exhibit 1). In

addition, MRS provides services to customers at the Michigan Career and Technical

Institute, a post-secondary, residential, and vocational trade-training program, with

campuses located in Plainwell and Detroit, Michigan.

 MRS's primary activity is the direct provision of vocational rehabilitation services. To be

eligible for MRS services, customers must have a physical or mental disability that

interferes with their ability to work except for those who are legally blind and served by

the Michigan Commission for the Blind. MRS provides eligible customers with

individualized services to meet their specific needs. Services may include:

 • Vocational and guidance counseling.

• Vocational training.

• Job coaching and job placement.

• Medical treatment and restoration services.

• Transportation.

• College tuition assistance.

• Assistive technology.

 MRS also provides specific post-employment services necessary to assist customers in

maintaining employment. Services may include payment for items such as vehicles,

vehicle and home modifications, and employment accommodations.

 Rehabilitation counselors, in conjunction with the customers, determine the services

that MRS will provide to the customers. The rehabilitation process requires

considerable professional judgment by the counselor. Counselors service customers

with a wide range of disabilities and frequently refer customers to receive services from

other State and local social service agencies, school districts, private rehabilitation

agencies, hospitals, medical professionals, and potential employers.

 The U.S. Department of Education provides the majority of MRS's program funding with

the State's General Fund and local entities providing the State's funding portion. The

ratio of federal funds to State and local funds is 78.7% federal and 21.3% State and

local. MRS expended $113.6 million during fiscal year 2009-10, of which $47.1 million

was spent directly on customer services, excluding vocational counseling, as presented

in Exhibit 2. MRS served 51,473 customers during fiscal year 2009-10, resulting in an

average annual cost for services of $915 per customer. MRS had 505 employees as of

July 31, 2011.

  Audit Objectives, Scope, and Methodology

and Agency Responses and Prior Audit Follow-Up

  Audit Objectives

Our performance audit* of Rehabilitation Service Expenditures, Michigan Rehabilitation

Services (MRS), Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, had the following

objectives:

 1. To assess the effectiveness* of MRS's efforts to ensure the propriety of service

payments.

 2. To assess the effectiveness of MRS's efforts to facilitate the coordination of

benefits and services.

 3. To assess the effectiveness of MRS's efforts to determine that services resulted in

viable and sustainable employment.

 Audit Scope

Our audit scope was to examine and evaluate rehabilitation service expenditures and

other program records within Michigan Rehabilitation Services. We conducted this

performance audit in accordance with generally accepted government auditing

standards. Those standards require that we plan and perform the audit to obtain

sufficient, appropriate evidence to provide a reasonable basis for our findings and

conclusions based on our audit objectives. We believe that the evidence obtained

provides a reasonable basis for our findings and conclusions based on our audit

objectives. Our audit procedures, conducted from May through August 2011, generally

covered the period October 1, 2008 through July 31, 2011.

 As part of our audit report, we included supplemental information that relates to our

audit objectives (Exhibits 1 and 2). Our audit was not directed toward expressing an

opinion on this information and, accordingly, we express no opinion on it.

   * See glossary at end of report for definition.

Audit Methodology

We conducted a preliminary review of MRS's operations to form a basis for defining our

audit scope. Our preliminary review included interviewing MRS staff regarding their

functions and responsibilities, reviewing MRS's policies and procedures and applicable

laws and regulations, and analyzing program data.

 To accomplish our objectives, we selected MRS customers who had received MRS

services for the period October 1, 2008 through July 31, 2011 and reviewed supporting

documentation maintained in each customer's case file to determine whether MRS had

provided the services in accordance with established policies and procedures. We also

reviewed the case files to ascertain whether comparable benefits and services were

utilized before MRS funds were expended. In addition, we evaluated the effect that

MRS services had on the customer's ability to obtain and retain viable and sustainable

employment.

 When selecting activities or programs for audit, we use an approach based on

assessment of risk and opportunity for improvement. Accordingly, we focus our audit

efforts on activities or programs having the greatest probability for needing improvement

as identified through a preliminary review. Our limited audit resources are used, by

design, to identify where and how improvements can be made. Consequently, we

prepare our performance audit reports on an exception basis.

 Agency Responses and Prior Audit Follow-Up

Our audit report contains 6 findings and 6 corresponding recommendations. MRS's

preliminary response indicated that it agrees with all 6 recommendations.

 The agency preliminary response that follows each recommendation in our report was

taken from the agency's written comments and oral discussion subsequent to our audit

fieldwork. Section 18.1462 of the Michigan Compiled Laws and the State of Michigan

Financial Management Guide (Part VII, Chapter 4, Section 100) require the Department

of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs to develop a plan to comply with the audit

recommendations and submit it within 60 days after release of the audit report to the

Office of Internal Audit Services, State Budget Office. Within 30 days of receipt, the

Office of Internal Audit Services is required to review the plan and either accept the plan

as final or contact the agency to take additional steps to finalize the plan.

 Within the scope of this audit, we followed up 1 of the 10 prior audit recommendations

from our July 2002 performance audit of Michigan Rehabilitation Services (45-240-01).

We also followed up 1 of 10 prior audit recommendations from our March 2009

performance audit of the Accessible Web-Based Activity and Reporting Environment

(AWARE) (641-0591-08). MRS complied with 1 of the 2 prior audit recommendations

included within the scope of our current audit. The other recommendation was rewritten

in Finding 1, Finding 3, and Finding 4 for inclusion in this report.

       COMMENTS, FINDINGS, RECOMMENDATIONS,

AND AGENCY PRELIMINARY RESPONSES

 immediate need as the customer can replace the vehicle from earnings once

employment has begun. The guide adds that a vehicle that is needed to transport

a customer for several years of training should be a vehicle that can be expected to

last long enough to complete that particular IPE service without major repairs. The

guide further states that while it is difficult to do comparison-shopping for used

vehicles, it is still possible to identify several options rather than purchasing the first

vehicle that passes a vehicle inspection.

 Of the 100 randomly selected MRS cases reviewed, 22 cases included 23 vehicle

purchases totaling $498,327. We identified 18 (78%) of 23 vehicle purchases

totaling $410,513 that were not documented in accordance with MRS policy. Our

review disclosed:

 a. MRS did not document in the case records why vehicle purchases were

essential to the individual's employment needs for 4 vehicle purchases totaling

$55,496. For example, MRS paid $30,998 for a vehicle and vehicle

modifications for a customer whose employment goal was to be a homemaker.

The IPE for the customer stated that the reason for the goal was to allow the

customer to maintain an independent lifestyle. As more fully described in

MRS policy 5025, Employment Goal and Outcome, the MRS Homemaker

Activities Chart outlines the core work areas that the customer will complete

during the rehabilitation process to become a homemaker. The chart did not

identify that the purchase of a vehicle was required for any of the core work

areas to be completed to fulfill the IPE.

 b. MRS did not document in the case files for which MRS purchased 6 new

vehicles totaling $266,544 why a used vehicle was not a viable alternative.

For example, MRS purchased a new vehicle with modifications for $68,000

when MRS was informed by the vendor at the time of purchase that a used

vehicle with all necessary modifications was available for $51,185. Without

appropriate documentation, MRS cannot justify its rationale for spending an

additional $16,815 for the purchase of a new vehicle.

  c. The MRS case files for 18 vehicle purchases did not contain basic driverrelated

documentation required by MRS policy:

 (1) MRS did not document the required vehicle registration or vehicle title

and proof of insurance for 12 (67%) of the vehicles purchased.

 (2) MRS did not document that the customers possessed valid driver's

licenses for 5 (28%) of the vehicles purchased.

 RECOMMENDATION

We recommend that MRS obtain required documentation related to vehicle

purchases made on behalf of MRS customers.

 AGENCY PRELIMINARY RESPONSE

MRS agrees and will improve case management training and the case review

process so that appropriate documentation is obtained for vehicle purchases made

on behalf of MRS customers. MRS stated that this will involve increased

monitoring along with individual, local, and system improvements.

  FINDING

2. Equipment Recovery

MRS had not developed a process to recover equipment purchased for customers

who no longer used the equipment. As a result, MRS did not recover purchased

equipment from unrehabilitated customers and subsequently redistribute

equipment to other MRS customers.

 MRS policy 6200, Equipment and Tools, states that MRS customers shall be

informed of their responsibility to offer to return any equipment purchased that is no

longer being used for its original intended purpose. However, the IPE, a signed

agreement between MRS and the customer, states that it is the customer's

responsibility to return any equipment purchased by MRS if the equipment is no

longer being used as originally planned.

  AGENCY PRELIMINARY RESPONSE

MRS agrees and will develop guidelines for recovering equipment purchased for

customers who no longer use the equipment. MRS stated that, in accordance with

MRS policy 6200, it will continue to inform customers at orientation, intake, and IPE

development that equipment no longer used as planned must be offered for return.

  FINDING

3. Expenditures for Maintenance Services

MRS's controls over expenditures for maintenance services did not ensure that all

such expenditures were necessary and made in accordance with established

policy. As a result, MRS paid for services not provided for in MRS policy.

 MRS policy 6350, Maintenance, states that maintenance services may be provided

only for additional costs, over and above normal living expenses, which customers

incur because of their participation in assessments or IPE services. However,

MRS's Cost Management Strategies guide states it is not the federal intent that

MRS be a welfare program. The guide states that federal law and regulations

clearly indicate that MRS is not responsible for the everyday costs that customers

would incur for maintenance and transportation regardless of whether they

participated in a rehabilitation program.

 Of the 100 randomly selected MRS cases reviewed, 24 cases included

maintenance service costs totaling $28,305. We noted that 14 (58%) of the 24

cases did not support the need for maintenance service payments totaling $14,071.

As a result, the services may not have been necessary and, therefore, may not

have been in accordance with MRS policy. For example:

 a. MRS provided assistance totaling $5,080 to a customer who was employed

full time for gas, food, clothing, and household bills. Also, MRS provided this

customer with $120 to assist with expunging the customer's criminal record.

  b. MRS continued to provide assistance to a second customer when the

customer was employed full time. Such assistance totaled $2,481 for mileage,

lodging, and food costs during a three-month period while the customer was

employed full time. In addition, MRS continued to provide job placement

services totaling $216 for travel costs, which the customer incurred while

traveling to a job interview, after the customer's IPE goal was achieved and

the customer already obtained full-time employment.

 c. MRS paid court costs totaling $450 for a third customer. MRS documented

that the customer needed to pay the court costs because the customer was at

risk of going to jail for three months if the costs were not paid.

 RECOMMENDATION

We recommend that MRS improve its controls over expenditures for maintenance

services to ensure that all such expenditures are necessary and made in

accordance with established policy.

 AGENCY PRELIMINARY RESPONSE

MRS agrees and will improve case management training and the case review

process so that appropriate documentation is obtained for maintenance services

expenditures made on behalf of MRS customers. MRS stated that this will involve

increased monitoring along with individual, local, and system improvements.

  FINDING

4. Receipts for Purchased Services

MRS did not obtain receipts to substantiate payments for purchases of services.

As a result, MRS could not ensure that all payments were expended and utilized

appropriately.

 MRS policy 2080, Hard Copy Case Records Content and Order, and MRS

policy 9200, Billing and Payment for Services, state that receipts for purchases of

services shall be documented to substantiate those services provided.

  Of the 100 randomly selected MRS cases reviewed, 30 cases lacked sufficient

receipt-related documentation for 32 payments totaling $105,885. We noted:

 a. MRS did not obtain receipts from 2 different vendors for vehicles and vehicle

modifications totaling $37,315 and $39,645, respectively. The case files

contained several quotes but did not contain final invoices for the vehicles and

vehicle modifications purchased.

 b. MRS provided 3 checks totaling $1,200 directly to a customer for the purchase

of a vehicle. However, MRS did not receive documentation that the vehicle

was actually purchased or received by the customer. In addition, shortly after

MRS provided funds to the customer for the purchase of the vehicle, the case

was closed by MRS at the request of the customer because of health

concerns.

 c. MRS provided 5 checks totaling $2,500 directly to a customer for employmentrelated

relocation expenses. However, the case file did not contain any

documentation substantiating these expenses.

 d. MRS provided a payment of $471 directly to a customer to attend a real estate

conference. This amount was to pay for transportation costs and hotel fees

the customer incurred during the real estate conference. However, the case

file did not contain any documentation substantiating these expenses.

 RECOMMENDATION

We recommend that MRS obtain receipts to substantiate payments for purchases

of services.

 AGENCY PRELIMINARY RESPONSE

MRS agrees and will improve case management training and the case review

process so that appropriate receipts to substantiate payments for purchases of

services are obtained. MRS stated that this will involve increased monitoring along

with individual, local, and system improvements.

   AGENCY PRELIMINARY RESPONSE

MRS agrees and will improve case management training and the case review

process so that appropriate documentation verifying applicants' identities is

obtained before services are provided.

 MRS stated that it is in the process of changing its customer identification policy in

response to a corrective action required by the federal Rehabilitation Services

Administration. This change will clarify that other forms of evidence are acceptable

for proving an individual's state residency. MRS also stated that the policy change

is necessary to ensure that MRS applicants are not subject to a duration of

residency requirement, which is prohibited by Section 101(a)(12) of the

Rehabilitation Act and Title 34, Part 361, section 42(c)(1) of the Code of Federal

Regulations.

 MRS informed us that it will continue to submit application records from its case

management system (Accessible Web-Based Activity and Reporting Environment

[AWARE]) to the Social Security Administration every week for social security

number verification. MRS stated that these records include four pieces of

identifying information. MRS added that a discrepancy occurs in approximately 2%

of the applications. In these instances, MRS stated that it works with the customer

for up to 90 days to obtain a correction or the case is closed.

  COORDINATION OF BENEFITS AND SERVICES

 COMMENT

Audit Objective: To assess the effectiveness of MRS's efforts to facilitate the

coordination of benefits and services.

 Audit Conclusion: We concluded that MRS's efforts to facilitate the coordination

of benefits and services were moderately effective. Our audit disclosed one

reportable condition related to comparable benefits and services (Finding 6).

  AGENCY PRELIMINARY RESPONSE

MRS agrees and will improve case management training and the case review

process so that comparable benefits and services are utilized before MRS funds

are expended. MRS stated that this will involve increased monitoring along with

individual, local, and system improvements.

  VIABLE AND SUSTAINABLE EMPLOYMENT

 COMMENT

Audit Objective: To assess the effectiveness of MRS's efforts to determine that

services resulted in viable and sustainable employment.

 Audit Conclusion: We concluded that MRS's efforts to determine that services

resulted in viable and sustainable employment were effective. Our audit report

does not include any reportable conditions related to this audit objective.

       INTENTIONALLY BLANK PAGE

      SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION

      GLOSSARY

  Reportable Condition:

MRS did not always identify comparable

benefits and services from other sources

(Finding 6).  ~~~~~~~~~~

 Audit Objective:

To assess the effectiveness of MRS's

efforts to determine that services resulted

in viable and sustainable employment.

 Audit Conclusion:

We concluded that MRS's efforts to

determine that services resulted in viable

and sustainable employment were

effective. Our audit report does not

include any reportable conditions related

to this audit objective.

 ~~~~~~~~~~

  Agency Response:

Our audit report contains 6 findings and

6 corresponding recommendations.

MRS's preliminary response indicated

that it agrees with all 6

recommendations.

 ~~~~~~~~~~

   January 11, 2012

  Mr. Steven H. Hilfinger, Director

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Ottawa Building

Lansing, Michigan

 Dear Mr. Hilfinger:

 This is our report on the performance audit of Rehabilitation Service Expenditures,

Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

 This report contains our report summary; description of agency; audit objectives, scope,

and methodology and agency responses and prior audit follow-up; comments, findings,

recommendations, and agency preliminary responses; two exhibits, presented as

supplemental information; and a glossary of acronyms and terms.

 Our comments, findings, and recommendations are organized by audit objective. The

agency preliminary responses were taken from the agency's responses subsequent to

our audit fieldwork. The Michigan Compiled Laws and administrative procedures

require that the audited agency develop a plan to comply with the audit

recommendations and submit it within 60 days after release of the audit report to the

Office of Internal Audit Services, State Budget Office. Within 30 days of receipt, the

Office of Internal Audit Services is required to review the plan and either accept the plan

as final or contact the agency to take additional steps to finalize the plan.

 We appreciate the courtesy and cooperation extended to us during this audit.

 Sincerely,

  Thomas H. McTavish, C.P.A.

Auditor General