[nfbmi-talk] one of the agreements i asked for

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 20:43:23 UTC 2012

Just got this from the web. Note this goes to one of the transition programs and other cooperative agreements I asked for over and over again. Note the obligation to remit information in here related to alternate formats is a given. I've asked for this information and then they tried to charge me an illegal surcharge for information that is supposed to be put out freely and in accessible format and a timely manner.

Again this is a basic ADA/504 issue. And even this document references the right to receive information in alternate formats upon request.

I requested them. Period. End of story. Each and every abuse of FOIA related to such public documents is in fact a documented violation in and of itself of the basic effective communications requirements of the ADA and Section 504.

Joe
Transition Zone

August 14-19, 2012

“It’s all a matter of perspective”

[cover photo of a young man and a boy with a white cane]

…for youth who are blind or visually impaired

Are you a girl or boy who is blind or visually impaired?

Would you like to meet others with similar disabilities from across Michigan?  At the Transition Zone, you’ll have fun getting to know other people with visual disabilities and gain independence techniques and vocational skills that will last a lifetime.

Register today for the 2nd annual Transition Zone camp hosted by the Michigan Commission for the Blind at Camp Daggett in Petoskey, Michigan.

[photo of girl on horseback with woman standing by prepared to assist]

Campers will learn life skills and become confident in areas such as:

Listening, speaking, creative thinking

Decision making, problem solving

Sociability, integrity, teamwork

[photo of boy in safety harness climbing up to platform in tree]

Michigan Commission for the Blind

The mission of the Michigan Commission for the Blind (MCB) is to provide opportunity to individuals who are blind or visually impaired to achieve employability and/or function independently in society.

MCB programs and services are supported with state and federal funds and available to qualified Michigan residents who are legally blind.  No fees are charged for participation in these programs and services, including Transition Zone.  For more information about Transition Zone and other MCB programs and services, call 989-732-5814 (Gaylord office) or 800-292-4200 (Lansing central office), or visit www.michigan.gov/mcb.

[photo of firefighter in full gear in front of fire engine with man and boy listening]

Transition Zone

August 14-19, 2012

Hosted by the Michigan Commission for the Blind

Held at Camp Daggett on beautiful Walloon Lake

03001 Church Rd., Petoskey, Michigan

Request Info

To receive more information including a Transition Zone registration packet, please complete and mail the request form below to the MCB Gaylord office (address on back cover):

Name:

Age:  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Phone:

Email:

County:

Mother’s Name:

Father’s Name:

Counselor’s Name:

Last year we asked the camp participants what they liked most about Transition Zone.  Here’s what they had to say:

“Learning how to manage money”

“Learning safety on the internet”

“Talking about college”

“Learning about Social Security”

“Teamwork”

“Talking about stores and their products”

“Learning CPR”

“Learning what police officers have”

“I liked everything”

“It was an incredible experience”

[MCB logo]

Michigan Commission for the Blind

Gaylord Office

209 West First Street, Suite 102

Gaylord, MI 49735

Phone: 989-732-5814

Toll-free: 800-292-4200

www.michigan.gov/mcb

The Michigan Commission for the Blind, Michigan Department of Licensing

and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), is an equal opportunity employer/

program. Alternative formats, auxiliary aids, services, and other reasonable

accommodations are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.