[nfbmi-talk] integrated vs. segregated settings

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sun Jun 17 23:23:06 UTC 2012

Dear Lydia,

I agree if the "inclusion" model is as it is which is pathetic here in
Michigan. In the name of inclusion the Michigan School for the blind was
closed with the promise of a Trust Fund toappropriately educate blind
children. This promise of course was savaged. We need not discuss the
details here but LIO is extremely under funded and other resources
hereabouts are jokes in practice in most districts.

to make matters worse here in Genesee County for the most part blind kids
are sent to Durant Turre Mott and effectively segregated without the upside
of a residential school like MSB.

I sat in on an IEP by the way a month or so back and the district didn't
even know effectively what transition was or what was required.

Now, the issue ofintegration, this said is seminal to all NFB stands for in
principle, but also on terms of "equality" which for practical purposes
means accommodations, appropriate instructional modes, etc.

Now, with all of this said I think the practical ramifications for all PWD
in education do require various options and a full continuum. also, the term
segregation in a civil rights context does have some time references
attached to it.

For example no one would consider a dedicated rehab center like MCB TC to be
illegally segregated for people aren't to be there for life anymore than a
person needing physical rehab for a car accident leaving one paralyzed
would be considered segregated in the discriminatory sense so long as it
isn't a life long sentence to a nursing home or other institutional setting.

I would not consider a stint based upon the individual in a specialized
school for a period to be illegal segregation so long as the other options
for those who find them of value were also present.

Ditto for the sheltered shop thing. If they were truly only to position
folks for competitive employment in the integrated environment though then
why are so many still in places like Peckham for decades?

I hope this quick ramble makes my point clear.

Oh, one other lesson in our advocy here with the closure of MSB. Whether it
should have been closed or not and I think it shouldn't have been
personally, the fact is once lost we'll never get it back.

And as experiences show in other states if we lose or if the clowns running
MCB force it to end we'll never get back a separate commission.

Peace with Justice,

Joe