[nfbmi-talk] integrated vs. segregated settings

Matt Sievert matt.sievert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:37:02 UTC 2012

Joe,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I agree with you completely.

Matt Sievert

-----Original Message-----
From: "joe harcz Comcast" <joeharcz at comcast.net>
Sender: nfbmi-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:29:54
Subject: Re: [nfbmi-talk] integrated vs. segregated settings

Fred And All,

A free and appropriate public education (i.e. one of quality) is the most
important thing as we both agree. That goes to any child disabled or not in
my mind, including my own who was not blind, but who had other disabilities.
It does, as you suggest trump the setting issue. However, this said I do
lobby for both a quality educational experience and full inclusion. This is
the "ideal" and I know it. But ideally we should have both and we'll never
have both unless we work for it.

That said these things are highly individualized as you suggest and we must
work for what we have right now or at the moment. I did advocate to have my
daughter placed in a school for a couple years geared exclusively to her
particular disabilities. She did live in the community and was still
attached to the school district, but was bused daily to this regional
school.

I also advocated for the placement of a blind student in Perkins (we were in
New Hampshire at the time), for her last two years of high school because
the district was falling short of meeting her expanded curriculum needs.
While she did have to move away from home, she did have a mixed experience
there. She went to Perkins in the morning and attended the local district
for some classes in the afternoon.

What I find so sad and pathetic here in Michigan is so many stressed out
districts basically misappropriating IDEA funds to plug other holes in their
financials and the state doing the same.

That and the fact that in many locales hereabouts where public education is
in a free fall and in ruin for all.

I am a strong beleiver in public education and its importance. However, God
help me, I wouldn't send a child of mine to most public schools here in
Genesee County even if not disabled. That includes the High School from
which I graduated more than forty years ago. On the latter we are trying to
fix what is broken for all kids and that includes those with disabilities.

In that school more than forty years ago I classed with a person
withcognitive impairments before it was required. He went on to work in the
community at competitive wages and is living to this day independently, but
with some modest familial supports.

I am sad to say that we in Michigan are, and have been going backwards over
the years in our general public education, the education of most blind kids,
and in so-called "special education" over all.

The drop out rate alone in major cities and counties is alarming both amonst
non-disabled and disabled students.

Thus again if I had a child in this environment, in the short term I surely
would move or have her moved to another region of the state or even out of
state.

People have to do what they have to do for their own while we all work
together to fix broken systems.

It is a conundrum to be sure.

Peace with Justice,

Joe