[nfbmi-talk] integrated vs. segregated settings

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Mon Jun 18 00:35:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

Clearly inclusion won out over quality with the closing of MSB in the 90's.
Now, what to do?  Working with schools in 83 counties is more difficult than
1 residential school.  The value, as you suggest in your comment, is that
the residential school, at least set a benchmark.  We can debate about the
level of that benchmark in any given area, but there were students learning
Braille, being taught wood and metal shop, hands-on science including
chemistry and biology.  There was physical education for everyone, not some
kind of namby-pamby special phys-ed for the blind kid.

Again, some districts do much better than others.  I believe every blind
student ought to have the very best all the time.  This does not happen for
sighted children, either, but  that is no excuse, there is no excuse for any
child not getting the very best education available, including and
especially blind children.  I categorically reject the notion that we can't
afford to do better.

now here we are.  We need to encourage more people to do what you are doing
and getting advanced education degrees to combine with an enlightened and
positive attitudee toward blindness and blind people.  Lead on!

Warmest Regards,

Fred