[nfbmi-talk] letter, written by Fred Schroeder

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Mar 19 12:16:30 UTC 2012

While I find this a bit of a mixed message Fred in the flurry of all the
activity around it I certainly agree that we collectively and individually
as Federationists need to be beating down the doors of our legislators both
state and federal on this issue. And certainly it is true as has always been
the case that NFB will and is leading the charge.

There is, however one card in this deck that does go to RSA as they
ultimately hold the federal purse strings.

And that is a point that must be hammerred home to again our state reps and
senators and is in fact a message loud and clear here.

Whether or not the entire $17 million for blindness services alone is at
stake or more or some portion thereof one thing is very clear and that is
this ill conceived scheme will cost Michigan something in the millions and
will cost us jobs and not just jobs for blind folks too.

If the Governor or anyone else wishes to ignore these facts they do so at
their peril of losing at least a portion of federal funds if not them all.

Frankly, I don't think any but the most "libertarian" type is willing to
risk such a thing in an election year if that is indeed brought to each and
everyone's attention, which it should be of course.

I hope that none of my comments are taken to taint the heroic work that you,
Larry, Joe S and untold others are doing in the trenches. For that is not
the case and this isn't aimed at you all.

In addition though to working within our community I have been alerting
others in the broad community of PWD about the dangers of this ill conceived
move including those in CILs, the MRC, etc.

In addition all are openly wonderring once again what our brothers and
sisters in MCBVI are doing and that includes the leadership and members of
the ACB.

It is time, long since time for individual agendas and even partisan agendas
to end on this issue.

This isn't an ACB v. NFB issue. This isn't a "Democrat" v. "Republican"
issue. This isn't even solely (though we are the most concerned at the
moment) a pure blindness issue.

You, Larry and all are correct in that all should be contacting their own
and other legislators for sure and getting others to do the same.

I also urge those who can do so to pack the next Commission Board meeting on
Friday and beyond that  to attend in person any public hearings as rummied
up as they might be in person if possible.

As neither I nor anyone can be in multiple places at once I urge all to
call, write or do whatever possible tonip this in the bud right here and
now.

Again I applaud you, Fred and others for the work you've  been doing in all
of these regards.

Again hope you didn't take my comments as a critique of you or others who
are working diligently in the trenches.

Peace with Justice,

Joe