[nfbmi-talk] letter, written by Fred Schroeder

Marcus Simmons marcussimmons at comcast.net
Mon Mar 19 14:22:50 UTC 2012

To that end, I have sent a copy to SenVGregory at senate.michigan.gov
(517) 373-7888
----- Original Message -----
From: "joe harcz Comcast" <joeharcz at comcast.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [nfbmi-talk] letter, written by Fred Schroeder

To those in the blindness community; to those in the disability community
over all; to those who wish to safeguard this or that federally funded and
narrow interest I say this:

The state plan, and fundamental state plan of MCB is not the only thing at
risk here.

the entire VR, Title I and Part B federal funding streams are at risk
because this governor and his minions have acted in extra legal fashion.

While thisanalysis by Fred Schroeder  was correct as far as it went there is
much more at stake and allies and others with other disabilities should know
it to.

Shoot the 88 BEP jobs aren't the only jobs at issue here. The $17 million
for VR, and federally funded blindness services under the Rehab Act funding
schemas aren't all that is issue here.

If the employees for example at MCB alone don't think this impacts their
jobs including their personal jobs whether being cooks at the training
center, or VRTs, or O and M instructors or CRCs then they got a different
thing a coming.

If the sellout and I'll use that term, administrators don't think their jobs
are at issue then they've got another thing coming if this course continues
though they might be the last standing while the titanic sinks into the
ocean.

If CILs think this doesn't impact them and their funding and their programs
well they will have another thing coming if they think of this as a narrow
issue.

Ditto for those with other disabilities under MRS or for the integrity of
the MRC which is already in a shambles and virtually destroyed already by
the corruption of the process with CRPs.

If the CRPs think they'll get by then they will have another thing coming as
more and more federal funds are effectively ciphered off into general fund
accounts with this sort of extra legal end run around the design of these
programs.

Oh and if the CEOs at those same NISH and other programs don't like the
regulations and the federal rules for equity and fair play and for a basic
living wage let alone a minimum wage then maybe those programs that have
waggged the VR dog so often and so venally over and over again should be
repealed and those self-same hacks at those bodies should get jobs in the
private sector that so much of their NISH propaganda so emulates whilst at
the same time in traditional hypocritical fashion denigrates.

In other words ladies and gentlemen the likes of NISH and most rehab hacks
at the top of the proverbial food chain depend upon the Javitts-Wagner Oday
Act, the Rehab Act, the IL and other amendments to all of them. So do the
state hacks.

But they all whant the federal funds to keep on a flowing without federal
accountability. In other words they want them diverted to their own self
interests and most often to sinking general funds by other means.

Argh...It goes on and on...

Don't we know what happens to ostriches? They get their heads cut off.

And for those on this list who think that making waves and demanding
accountability and that demanding performance is the cause of this and that
we shouldn't raise our voices both individually or collectively for fear of
being "cut off" from this or that program whether it be a little stipend as
an intern or a job with the agency or a little token of fealty as an
assistive tech consulting contract or whatever let me tell you you will all
be cutoff. YOu won't be cut off at the knees either but, rather you'll be
cut off right at your necks and right where you live and your means to live
too.

Students who bithch, rightfully so about grad funding and against the
wrongful means testing won't get one thin dime of anything for anything. For
again all those federal dimes are at risk or at least the lions share of
them.

And they are all at risk all this is at risk not just because of bad
financial times, or of this or that debate between the likes of NFB or ACB
or any of that other stupid stuff.

No they are at risk because too many wish to let the powers that be and have
always wished the powers that be no matter who they were dictate programs
and not to have the voice of the blind speaking for themselves along with
others with other disabilities speaking for themselves...Or rather all of us
speaking for OURSELVES come together.

Colleagues the time for self interest, not to be redundant is over. It is
ended it is caput!

None of us survives in a true and meaningful form without the rights of our
and sisters in his and her heart in our individual and collective actions.

This is not a radical concept for Americans for Ben Franklin himself told
all involved in our Great American Revolution this:

"We must hang together, or surely we'll hang separately."

Now we who are blind or otherwise disabled wish to draw lines in the sand
and wish to retake the high ground here in Michigan? Do we wish to go as
always intended in the crude terms from a handout to a hand up and to
"freedom and equality of at very least opportunity", let alone results?

Well then now is the time to fight.

And for those who are old in tooth such as I am without much skin now in his
personal game I say think of the younger generation.

and for that younger generation who frankly I've seen in so many cases not
understanding the true civil rights struggles of your elders upon the
benefits and so-forth that you enjoyed just a few years back you've got to
get some revolutionary back bone or you will be the victims of this infamy
and not our generation

For the cynical and the totally self interested I'll end this diatribe by
saying this: "Each and everyone of us are bang picked off one by one and
group by group; client/customer, union reemployed by union employee; service
contractor by service contractor; etc., etc., etc.

Five fingers are easily broken by a power that wishes to break them with
just the simplest of physical methods. But when united into a fist the power
of a united people is invincible. Or at very least the predators against our
interest will not be allowed to break us, knuckle by knuckle; finger by
finger solely on the basis of our common digital division and, thus, common
vulnerability in those regards.

Regardless as to this angstan and I do express angst to most of my own blind
cand disabled community for not acting before this crisis; and I say most
and not all.