[nfbmi-talk] Amtrak Group Rates for National Convention

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 04:19:09 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I know some of you are starting to think about your plans for national convention. I also know some of you may be a bit turned off by the airfare prices as well. We were not successful the last time we tried getting a group rate for Amtrak, but perhaps we could try it again.

The current round trip fare on Amtrak from Chicago to Dallas is $ 238. If we get a group of at least twenty people to travel together, we could receive up to 20% off the regular fare. This would bring the price down to $190.40 round trip. Those who wish to participate in the group fare would then be responsible from getting to and from Chicago on their own. All Amtrak trains from Michigan go to Chicago, so I thought this would be the best way to implement a group fare that everyone in the state could easily participate in.

The schedule I used to receive this fare would depart from Chicago at 1:45 pm on Thursday, June 28, 2012 and would arrive in Dallas at 11:30 am on Friday, June 29, 2012. The train would then depart from Dallas at 3:40 pm on Friday, July 6, 2012 and would arrive in Chicago at 1:52 pm on Saturday, July 7, 2012. The duration of the trip is about twenty-two hours each way.

I understand the train may not be for everyone, but I just wanted to throw it into the mix for those who may be interested. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I found this information on the Amtrak website. If there is enough interest, I am willing to call and make the arrangements unless there is anyone else who would be interested in doing this.

Take care,

Elizabeth