[nfbmi-talk] Fwd: March 2012 MCB Insight

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 16:02:08 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Turney, Susan (LARA)" <turneys at michigan.gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:36:11 -0400
Subject: March 2012 MCB Insight
To: "Turney, Susan (LARA)" <turneys at michigan.gov>

Attached and pasted below is the March 2012 edition of MCB Insight.
The MCB Insight newsletter is also archived on the MCB website at
www.michigan.gov/mcb<http://www.michigan.gov/mcb> under Resources,
then Information for MCB Staff.

Susan Turney

Communications & Outreach Coordinator, Michigan Commission for the Blind

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

desk:  517-241-8631; cell: 517-243-3858; fax:  517-335-5140

MCB toll-free: 1-800-292-4200

201 N. Washington Square, Second Floor,

P.O. Box 30652; Lansing, MI 48909

www.michigan.gov/mcb<http://www.michigan.gov/mcb>

MCB Insight
Michigan Commission for the Blind, March 2012

In This Issue:

Going Forward Amidst Change
By Pat Cannon, MCB State Director, Lansing

MCB Director Gives Annual Presentation at Michigan College of Optometry

Four MCB Managers Attend Leadership Seminar in Washington D.C.

MCB Supports Michigan Braille Challenge

MCB Participating in VISIONS Vendor Fair in Ann Arbor

Letters and Emails

Staff News

Staff Profile: Corda Moss

Going Forward Amidst Change
By Pat Cannon, MCB State Director, Lansing

Now, considering the events of recent weeks, seems like an appropriate
time to recall that old saying "... we live in interesting times."
Clearly there will be changes affecting the Michigan Commission for
the Blind (MCB, as we've known it) and, at this point, none of us can
say with certainty just what those changes will look like when all is
said and done.

As you all undoubtedly know, Governor Rick Snyder announced, in a
February 24 news release, his executive order intended to enhance
services for blind and visually impaired residents across the state:
"Executive Order 2012-2 transfers the duties of the Michigan
Commission for the Blind and Michigan Rehabilitation Services to other
state departments, which better leverages the expertise and resources
of these departments."

"We're reshaping state government so it offers a more intuitive,
effective and efficient system of services," Snyder said. "This
executive order is an important step in that ongoing process. As a
result, our blind and visually impaired residents will have better
access to comprehensive information and resources."

The Michigan Commission for the Blind and Michigan Rehabilitation
Services (MRS) currently are under the Department of Licensing and
Regulatory Affairs (LARA).  Under the executive order, the MCB
Business Enterprise Program (BEP) will be transferred from the
Commission for the Blind to the Department of Technology, Management
and Budget (DTMB).  The release states that BEP is "a responsibility
that is more in line with the facility management expertise of DTMB."

The release further states: "The remainder of the commission's duties
will move to the Department of Human Services (DHS).  A new panel, the
Blind and Visually Impaired Services Advisory Board, will replace the
Michigan Commission for the Blind and advise DHS on the administration
of state programs for the blind and recommend policy changes. The
board will be comprised of five people with interest and expertise in
the needs of the blind."

"Michigan Rehabilitation Services also moves to DHS. In addition, the
executive order creates the Michigan Council for Rehabilitation
Services within DHS. The council will advise on state functions that
affect the ability of people with disabilities to gain employment."

As originally introduced, February 24, the Executive Order will have
the effect of law within 60 days from its date of issue, unless it is
rejected by the State Legislature by April 24.  The full text of E.O.
2012-2 is available online at
www.michigan.gov/snyder<http://www.michigan.gov/snyder>.

Since the introduction of the Governor's order, we have had a couple
of all-staff meetings by telephone - and will continue to do so - in
an attempt to keep all Commission staff informed of what's going on in
general, and what specific steps are being taken or planned to
implement the provisions of the Executive Order.  For the same
reasons, we are also sending out periodic email  messages to all staff
between these calls.  As such, you know by now that we've been asked
to temporarily suspend the steps of the implementation process while
work is being done to amend and clarify some aspects of the original
E.O.  At some point in the near future, we expect that a new (or
amended) order will be released by Governor Snyder, although we do not
know when that will happen, or what the ultimate effective date of
that new order will be.

We do know that, as a result of the Governor's Executive Order, State
Plans for MCB, MRS and the Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)
must be amended to reflect changes called for in the Governor's order.
 As such, plans have been underway to conduct public hearings in
several cities throughout the state to gather consumer input on the
draft amendments, and that process will resume when the Governor's
office issues the new order and related directives.

In the meantime, rehabilitation services will continue to be delivered
by both MCB and MRS as they have been, and customers receiving
services from the two agencies should notice no change in how they are
being served.  Any consumer who has questions about how the Governor's
Executive Order will impact their support and service from the
Commission should be encouraged to contact their counselor or teacher
for clarification and reassurance.

Although we don't know at this moment exactly how Michigan's state
government entity providing blind rehab services will be structured, I
do know that our consumers will continue to receive the same excellent
services they have come to expect from our superb staff.  I am also
confident that all of you will do your best to reassure our consumers
that they should notice no changes in their services.

In the weeks ahead, we will all learn more about how the executive
order is to be implemented, and what each of us can do to help make
this transition work for the people we serve.  And I assure all of you
that I will do my best to keep everyone informed as things further
unfold in the coming weeks and months.  Finally, please know with
absolute certainty, that I continue to (and always will) treasure each
of you for who you are and the fine work you do.

MCB Director Gives Annual Presentation at Michigan College of Optometry

On January 27, MCB State Director Pat Cannon gave his annual two-hour
presentation on MCB programs and services as well as blindness
awareness to senior optometry students at the Michigan College of
Optometry at Ferris State University in Big Rapids.  He covered topics
including an overview of what MCB can provide, how eye doctors can
refer their patients to MCB, a discussion of what blindness is and
what it is not, and his own experiences as a blind person.  Attitudes
about blindness, including myths and stereotypes, were also discussed.
 The students were very receptive to the information and had many
questions following the presentation.

Four MCB Managers Attend Leadership Seminar in Washington, D.C.

Lisa Kisiel, James Hull, Shawnese Laury-Johnson, and Debbie Wilson
attended an executive leadership seminar in Washington, D.C., February
6-10 for new rehabilitation executives.  The seminar was presented by
the National Rehabilitation Leadership Institute.  Among the speakers
were Dr. Fred Schroeder, former Commissioner of the Rehabilitation
Services Administration; Kareem Dale, Senior Policy Director in
Rehabilitation at the White House; and administrators within the U.S.
Department of Labor. The five-day seminar included topics that
addressed the content and leadership skills that today's
rehabilitation executives require.  Upon completion of the seminar,
participants were able to discuss legislative and policy requirements
pertinent to vocational rehabilitation programs, identify top issues,
and develop an action plan to address some of the challenges presented
in the seminar.  After the seminar, Lisa Kisiel said, "I truly enjoyed
spending time with the individuals that actually make the policies
that we use to do our business."

MCB Supports Michigan Braille Challenge

Once again, MCB was one of several co-sponsors of the Michigan Braille
Challenge in Grand Rapids, held on February 18 this year.  This event,
held every other year, was supported with a donation of $600 to the
Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired, who organize and host
the competition.  This funding provided for the room rental, Braille
paper, and Braille writers.

The purpose of this event is to promote Braille reading and writing
skills among blind and visually impaired students in grades 1 through
12.  The students compete in the areas of Braille Speed and Accuracy,
Chart and Graph Reading, Reading Comprehension, Proofreading, and
Braille Spelling.

The Grand Rapids competition is Michigan's only regional event, and
the only opportunity for students to compete in Michigan for the
Braille Institute of America's national competition.  This year, there
were 11 Michigan participants.  The top competitors received Meijer
gift cards as prizes and will attend the national competition in Los
Angeles June 22-23.  At the national competition, students compete for
awards of up to $5,000 plus electronic Braille equipment worth up to
$4,000.

MCB Participating in VISIONS Vendor Fair in Ann Arbor

The Michigan Commission for the Blind is once again partnering with
the Ann Arbor District Library Service for the Blind and Visually
Impaired to present the VISIONS adaptive technology fair, held every
other year.  VISIONS 2012 will be held Wednesday, May 9, from 10 a.m.
to 3 p.m. Vendors from across the state will present and demonstrate
their products, which include both adaptive devices and software for
individuals who cannot read print due to visual or physical
disabilities. A Business Enterprise Program vendor will have food and
beverages for sale.  This event will be held at Washtenaw Community
College in the Morris Lawrence Building at 4800 East Huron River Drive
in Ann Arbor.  Admission is free.

Letters and Emails

Roberta McCall, rehabilitation teacher at the Lansing Central office,
received this note from one of her consumers:

"Roberta, thank you for your prompt follow-up and visit to my home
this morning.  You've provided me with numerous resources and options
to consider, which I greatly appreciate.  I have called my state
senator and representative and told them you folks were awesome, and
that Beth White was also super in following up with me yesterday.  I
called and left Beth a voice mail to thank her and you folks, and told
her I will await her call to discuss my concerns.  Thank you again for
your passion, help and guidance;  you are great ambassadors for the
MCB."

...and another one sent to Roberta...

"I just wanted to drop you a note to say thank you for all you've done
for me.  Your responsiveness, support and guidance have all been
outstanding, and have introduced me to resources that will be helpful
to me for the rest of my life.  I am especially grateful that you
referred me to Susan Langendonk for mobility training.  Susan has done
an excellent job of teaching me how to use a white cane, and has been
extremely insightful in helping me to deal with my blindness.  Thanks
to her, I am now using a white cane, and am able to move about much
more confidently and safely than I could without one.  She has helped
me to feel comfortable with the idea of using the cane, which was a
very difficult thing for me to do."

In January the Lansing Central and Lansing Regional offices received a
thank-you note from their "holiday family" for gifts including
clothing, a TV, and individual gifts for all six family members:

"It takes a special kind of person to care enough to take the time for
others, to do whatever it takes to help somebody out. For everything
you have done... for everything you have given... thank you very much!
 Your kindness, love and generosity have truly blessed us this
Christmas.  It's the giving spirit from people like you who have
helped us get back 'up on our feet'."

Leanne Ford received a note from one of her consumers who is 100 years
old.  He said:

"I will remember you for being so helpful on helping me see with the
[CCTV] machine.  I have to write with it or I could not write.  You
were very helpful."

Debbie Wilson received a holiday card that said:

"Thanks to you and Marcianna [Wade] for all the help to get [my
husband] back to work.  Marcianna checks up on [him] and is always
pleasant to talk to and helpful if a problem comes up."

Debbie Wilson received this note from a consumer regarding Flint
Rehabilitation Counselor Danielle Smith :

"I would like to express my appreciation for the remarkable services
rendered by Ms. Smith as an active and dynamic member of the Michigan
Commission for the Blind. The contributions she made to my transition
to become a contributing member of the blind community over the past
few years have indeed been very valuable and are worthy to be followed
by others. Ms. Smith is a true asset to the blind clients that have
the privilege of working with her."

Detroit Rehabilitation Teacher Connie Henshaw received this note from
the resident services coordinator at an assisted living apartment
complex:

"Thank you for your swift response to our need.  With the tools you
provided we feel much more confident to respond to [her] needs as well
as any low vision resident we may have in the future."

Staff News

Cathy Cove of the Detroit office has been promoted to Secretary 9,
filling the position long held by Aliyamma Lukose, who retired in
2010. Congratulations, Cathy!

Shannon McVoy is the newest member of the MCB management team.  She
became MCB's Assistant West Region Manager effective March 19.
Congratulations, Shannon!

Leah Williams began her new job on January 9 as a rehabilitation
counselor in the Lansing Regional office.  She comes to MCB from
contractual work as a rehabilitation counselor, and she's a graduate
of Western Michigan University.  Many of you already know her from her
internship with MCB.  You can reach Leah at (517) 335-2871 or
williamsL32 at michigan.gov<mailto:williamsL32 at michigan.gov>.

In January, Lisa Kisiel was promoted to become the West Region
Manager.  Congratulations, Lisa!

Jessica Goodrich began her new job as a reader advisor with the
Braille and Talking Book Library on January 23.  Jessica earned her
master's degree in Library and Information Science from Wayne State
University and previously worked at the Delta Township District
Library on a part-time basis. She loves helping people find a good
book to read. She taught computer classes to adults at the Delta
library, and she is experienced in using various e-books on the
market. In addition to reader advisory, Jessica will oversee the
production of books for our local narration program.   You can reach
Jessica at goodrichj1 at michigan.gov<mailto:goodrichj1 at michigan.gov> or
(517) 373-5357.

Ronda Martin began January 23 as the new receptionist for the
Commission at the Lansing Central office.  She's worked for the
private sector for many years and brings with her a lot of experience
with administrative skills and in the office environment.  Ronda can
be reached at martinr15 at michigan.gov<mailto:martinr15 at michigan.gov> or
(517) 373-2062 or (800) 292-4200.

In February, Aggie Carter (formerly known as Mary Carter) was promoted
to the position of administrative assistant to the MCB Training Center
Director. Congratulations, Aggie!

As of March 5, Leanne Ford is a state employee with MCB's Gaylord
office.  Leanne previously had been a contractual staff person with
SVRC.  Congratulations, Leanne!

Staff Profile:  Corda Moss

Corda Moss has been with MCB at the MCB Training Center since June of
2000.  The first thing she'll tell you about working at the training
center is "It's awesome.  This is the best place to work and it's an
honor to be a part of seeing the transformation that takes place in
the students and seeing them get their hope back."

If you know Corda, you know she means it.  And you also know she means
it whenever she says, "Hi, it's good to see you!"

As for Corda's official role at the center, she's currently a
Departmental Analyst.  Corda says, "My current job duties include
three major things.  One is that I work with referrals, making sure we
have all the information we need, and I compile it into one document
for each student.  Two, I'm working on the customer satisfaction
surveys for the training center.  We just sent out the letters to FY
2010 students last week in the format each student requested.  The
letter was to let them know they'll be contacted soon for a survey by
phone.  SILC, the State Independent Living Council, is doing the
survey.  After we do the 2010 group, we'll do the ones for FY 2011.
The third thing is that I'm working with Libra and System 7, bringing
the training center online into the system.  The electronic case file
system was initially used by field staff, and later the system was
modified so some MCBTC staff could read the files.  Now we're moving
into using it for all teachers to enter information, and I'm doing the
training.  I'm getting JAWS on my computer so I can learn and explain
how the system works with JAWS."

You may know that Corda completed her bachelor's degree in 2007.  Her
degree is in family life education.  Corda explains, "This means
learning about how individuals are affected by what's happening in
their family, including stages of life, cultural factors, religion,
and more.  People in this field typically work in social work,
counseling, or referral work."

Speaking about the center, Corda says, "My very favorite thing about
working here is seeing people come in here feeling beaten down, when
they don't fully grasp that they can feel so-called 'normal' again,
and then they start to regain their confidence and their hope back.
The difference is phenomenal.  Watching that happen is my favorite
part.  Empowering students to educate their family is where my
training comes in.  One time when a family was here with a new
student, I showed them how they could walk with the student as a
sighted guide by offering an arm instead of pulling the person, and
they were so thrilled to have that simple basic information that they
cried."

Corda continues, "Also, when a person becomes blind and their family
helps them do more and more things, the family doesn't always back off
when the blind person becomes more independent, because the family
hasn't been here to see that transformation.  We need to educate our
students on how to help their families understand what they can do.
For this reason, we have family members come in and observe the
student in classes toward the end of their training.  I think that's
really beneficial.  And I wish all the people in the field could get
as many opportunities as we do at the training center to experience
these success stories!"

Before the MCB part of her life, Corda grew up in Benton Harbor, where
 she started working for a bank right out of high school, beginning as
a teller.  Later she worked in the savings department, and then she
became the administrative assistant to the bank president.  Moving
from there into state government, she worked for State Police and then
Corrections.

Then she heard about an opening for the position of executive
secretary to the director at a place called the Michigan Commission
for the Blind Training Center.  Corda smiles as she recalls her
interview with then-director Melody Lindsey.  "I came and saw what
this place was, and I saw Melody wearing a red suit and using her
cane, and I though WOW!  Melody and I really clicked, and I decided if
I was offered the job I would definitely take it."  Of course, she got
the job, and since then Corda and the training center have been, as
Forrest Gump would say, "like peas and carrots."

Including her years with MCB, Corda been a state employee for 25 years now.

Asked what else she'd like to tell MCB Insight readers, Corda says,
"Well, I've been married to my sweetheart for 38 years, and I still
like and love him, and he still likes and loves me!  That's very cool.
 We work in our yard, and we go to movies.  We have three kids and 13
grandkids.  We go to a lot of events and activities for our kids and
grandkids.  Every Christmas I make something with my hands for the
grandkids, like fleece blankets, pajamas, or stuffed animals."

Finally, you should know that Corda makes some darn good,
old-fashioned chicken and dumplings using her grandma's recipe.  Her
family has come to expect, and even demand, this tasty dish at their
holiday gatherings.

So, if you want to streamline your training center referrals, or if
you want to get that famous chicken and dumplings recipe, you can
contact Corda at 269-337-3854 or
mossc at michigan.gov<mailto:mossc at michigan.gov>.

MCB Insight is a bimonthly email newsletter published by the Michigan
Commission for the Blind (MCB) and distributed to MCB staff during the
first week of odd-numbered months.  If you have articles or ideas for
MCB Insight, please send them to Susan Turney at
turneys at michigan.gov<mailto:turneys at michigan.gov> anytime.  Your
suggestions and comments are welcome.  This publication is available
in alternative formats upon request to persons with disabilities.

Contributors and others assisting with this issue: Christine Boone,
Pat Cannon, Sue Chinault, Leanne Ford, Connie Henshaw, Leamon Jones,
Lisa Kisiel, Shawnese Laury-Johnson, Sue Luzenski, Carrie Martin,
Roberta McCall, Gwen McNeal, Corda Moss, Michelle Visscher, Beth
White, and Debbie Wilson.

Editor:  Susan Turney, Communications & Outreach Coordinator, Michigan
Commission for the Blind, LARA.

Associate Editor:  Bob Robertson, Manager of Organizational
Development, Michigan Commission for the Blind, LARA.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind, a part of the Michigan
Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs, is an equal opportunity
employer/program.

Michigan Commission for the Blind
Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
201 N. Washington Square, 2nd floor
P.O. Box 30652
Lansing, MI 48909
Voice (toll-free) 1-800-292-4200