[nfbmi-talk] mcrc draft minutes

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Aug 16 16:41:53 UTC 2013

MICHIGAN COUNCIL FOR REHABILITATION SERVICES

3490 Belle Chase Way, Suite 110

Lansing, MI  48911

517.887.9370 or 877.335.9370

Business Meeting Minutes

MCRS Office/Teleconference

Lansing, MI

Friday August 9, 2013

Members Present In-person:  Lou Adams (Department of Human Services – Michigan Rehabilitation Services DHS-MRS), Carol Bergquist, Michael Poyma, Ed Rodgers (Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs – Bureau of Services for Blind Persons LARA-BSBP), Brian Sabourin, Mitch Tomlinson, Matthew Weaver.

Members Present by Phone:  Trina Edmondson, Adam Kaplan, Deanna Middlebrooks, Caryn Pack Ivey, Anne Riddering.

Members Excused:  Sheryl Diamond, Mark Eastburg, Mary Ann Greenawalt.

Members Absent:  William Jones, Dennis Stanford.

Guests Present:  Valarie Barnum-Yarger (Michigan Statewide Independent Living Council MiSILC), Joe Harcz, Leamon Jones (LARA-BSBP), Joe Sontag (National Federation of the Blind of Michigan), Garrett Pazur (DHS-MRS), Mike Pemble (LARA-BSBP)

Staff Present:  Marlene Malloy, Shori Teeple

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by Chairperson C. Bergquist.  Roll call determined that a quorum was present.

Welcome & Introductions

C. Bergquist welcomed Council Members and guests.  Introductions were made.

Agenda

The draft agenda (August 9, 2013) was reviewed by the membership.

A motion, made by B. Sabourin and seconded by A. Riddering, was passed to approve the agenda as presented.

Minutes

The draft minutes (May 14, 2013) were reviewed by the membership.

A motion, made by D. Middlebrooks and seconded by A. Riddering, was passed to approve the minutes as presented.

Executive Team (ET) Report

Members reviewed the proposed Final ET Minutes for April 12, April 15, May 13, and June 24, 2013.

A motion, made by A. Riddering and seconded by D. Middlebrooks, was passed to accept and place on file the ET Minutes as presented.

Members reviewed the proposed Final FY 2014 Meeting Schedule.  A question was asked about the Member Only Strategic Planning Session and what Members should expect for participation at this event.  In response, it was shared that Members agreed to conduct this meeting to focus on determining a plan for how the Council will achieve its work responsibilities under the law.  By the end of the day, a final Strategic Plan will be completed, with goals, strategies, activities, with work teams created to get the work done to accomplish the mandates.  Another question was asked about the expectation of meeting times/locations for this event and the business meetings, either in-person or via teleconference.  It is anticipated that DHS will lift the travel restrictions for FY 2014 and that full-day in-person meetings will take place from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. at the MCRS Office or another Lansing location.

A motion, made by M. Poyma and seconded by B. Sabourin, was passed to accept and place on file the FY 2014 Meeting Schedule as presented.

Financial Operations

An overview was provided, including the Financial Statements for May and June 2013 and proposed Final MCRS FY 2014 Resource Plan and Budget.  Through May of this year, the Council only utilized MRS money in the budget.  Beginning June 1, the Council began receiving BSBP money.

At the May business meeting, the Membership empowered the ET to facilitate development of a MCRS FY 2014 Resource Plan and Budget, and then to work with BSBP and MRS to negotiate and secure funding for the next fiscal year.  A meeting has been scheduled for August 20th with MRS, and a meeting will be soon scheduled with BSBP.

A motion, made by D. Middlebrooks and seconded by A. Riddering, was passed to accept and place on file the Financial Statements for May and June 2013 as presented.

A motion, made by A. Riddering and seconded by D. Middlebrooks, was passed to accept and place on file the MCRS FY 2014 Resource Plan and Budget as presented.

Public Comment

The Public Comment Statement was read aloud.

Joe Harcz

My name is Joe Harcz and I am a blind person and an advocate for people who are blind and also a member of Michigan Adapt.  I have been very concerned about the Rehabilitation Act being followed in Michigan, including most especially our civil rights, which are under Section 504.  Because I’m going to run out of time, I’m going to make a formal request of all the information, that’s public information, in the hands of MCRS Members, to be sent to me in accessible format, and that would include all these reports that are being talked about et cetera, to be sent to my email address, which is joeharcz at comcast.net, because my computer talks, and I make that request under the auxiliary aids and services provisions of Section 504 and under Title II Subpart E, effective communications.  For too long, now, our rehabilitation agencies have not been fully accessible to people with disabilities, with various disabilities, and to what many, many of the facilities have not even followed the program access guidelines used by MRS and BSBP.  One of the biggest problems that I’ve documented over and over again, and in Department of Technology, Management, and Budget surveys for blind people is that we don’t have raised character and braille signage at every permanent room, every permanent room, including room numbers, even in these public buildings where VR has its programs and where BSBP has its programs, or as I denoted in my public hearing comments, where the public hearings are required.  Now that’s a requirement of both Section 504, of the Americans with Disabilities Act, but also the Title I.  The other thing that we don’t have, and we’ve not had rigorous enforcement of this, is the one-stop access and the overlap on that.  My goodness people, we are in the business of serving people with disabilities, and that includes people with physical and sensory disabilities, and helping to get employment, and many of our facilities or basic information are not accessible.  I fought a long-standing battle with the former Commission for the Blind and things related to these things, including State Plans and everything else, including getting applications in accessible format.  You name it.  It’s incredible that this stuff is going on.  My final comment, because I will be running out of time, is I consider, on its face, the executive orders that destroy the powers and authorities of the Michigan Commission for the Blind to be a gross violation, not only of state law, but of federal law.  We have put non-deligible authorities into the hands of the DSA.  Even in the State Plan, in the hands of the DSA - not the DSU - in violation of the Executive Organization Act, the powers and duties of the former Commission for the Blind were destroyed under a Type II Transfer.  That cannot be done, as a matter of fact, not legally anyway.

Advisory Bylaws Work Team Report – B. Sabourin, Work Team Chair

(Work Team Members:  Sheryl Diamond, Anne Riddering)

Members reviewed final minutes (June 14) and draft minutes (June 19, June 26, July 24) for the Advisory Bylaws Work Team Meetings.  S. Diamond and A. Riddering were thanked for joining this work team to help get the work done.  Using Executive Order 2012-10, the Federal Regulations, the Rehabilitation Act, and other sources along with suggestions from the Attorney General’s (AG’s) Office, the Team reviewed and edited the Draft Bylaws line by line.  The proposed Draft Bylaws are a result of this team’s work during the teleconference meetings.

A question was asked whether communication has taken place with the AG’s Office about the proposed edits that have been made to the Draft Bylaws.  In response, B. Sabourin confirmed that the updated Draft Bylaws were forwarded to the AG’s Office with a request to review proposed changes and offer input for finalizing the document for presentation to the membership for approval.  The AG suggested a few final suggestions, and following review and further discussion by the Advisory Work Team, all Team Members agreed to make all final proposed changes from the AG.

A motion, made by A. Kaplan and seconded by M. Poyma, was passed to approve the Advisory Bylaws Work Team Minutes as presented.

Regarding the Draft Bylaws, a recommendation was made to change content on Page 6, Section C; the word in the header ‘compensation’ should instead be changed to ‘payment to’.  It was clarified that this language comes directly from the Rehabilitation Act, which says that Council Members can be compensated for many things, but some things might not be approved.

The recommendation to edit the header was withdrawn.

A motion, made by D. Middlebrooks and seconded by C. Pack Ivey, was passed to approve the Draft Bylaws as presented.

Report of the Executive Director (ED):  Marlene Malloy

Staff continue to work together to manage the daily business and program operations of the Council.  Much of the focus has been on the Advisory Bylaws Work Team.

Regarding the DSU State Plans, we have worked with Leamon Jones at BSBP and the MRS Exec Team, along with Council Member Dennis Stanford, to move the work forward.  Both State Plans have been submitted to Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA).

The Comprehensive Statewide Needs Assessment (CSNA) process is moving forward.  The next CSNA is due in 2014; the Council is involved on the CSNA work team.

The Assistant Director, S. Teeple, and Council Member D. Middlebrooks attended the graduation event at the Michigan Career and Technical Institute (MCTI) in Plainwell.  D. Middlebrooks commented about how she was impressed with the graduation and the spirit of the students and staff for a wonderful program.

We will be continuing to work with MRS and their Strategic Plan and Quality Core Initiatives taking place at MRS.  S. Teeple recently attended the Capital Quality Institute (CQI) Training opportunity.

The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) has gained momentum recently at the national level.  Thomas Harkin, a Senator out of Iowa, has taken on this initiative, along with others to advise and help move the legislation forward.  There are a lot of changes proposed and a lot of opinions about those changes.  The Senate HELP Committee’s role is to move WIA forward.  The vocational rehabilitation (VR) agencies, which are sponsored by the Council of State Administrators of Vocational Rehabilitation (CSAVR) have indicated their strong opposition to the proposed changes to WIA.  The Steering Committee of the National Coalition of State Rehabilitation Councils (NCSRC), which serves nationally as the voice of the customer, has publically announced that it does not agree with the changes proposed for WIA, since they will not be in the best interest of customers being served.  Changes to WIA would result in RSA being moved from the Department of Education to the Department of Labor (DOL).  The DOL would then take all VR money received (about 3 million dollars a year) and put it into their main budget.    DOL will then want to use that money to block grant it back out to the states, so that governor’s then have the ability to decide how public VR can then be offered in their states.  With Congress presently in recess, now is a good time for advocacy and education of senators in all states, along with those members of the HELP Committee.  Michigan doesn’t have any senators on the HELP Committee, but many national Coalition members know their Senators well.  The NCSRC will be having a national meeting next week to have further discussion about this topic, including talking points to connect with their local legislators.  It is believed that when Senators return to offices in the Fall, with everything else on their dockets, WIA might not even be addressed.  With the last push for reauthorization of WIA in 1998, it’s exciting to see it revisited again.

Next week, Council staff will send an email to the membership with details about the national call on Friday August 16th.

A comment was made that the Council Members should continue to be educated and keep an open mind.

Update - Department of Human Services – Michigan Rehabilitation Services (DHS-MRS) State Director:  Lou Adams, Acting State Director

General

The Council and its Staff were thanked for their support for MRS and the advocacy on behalf of the customers that are served.  With the Council’s help and advice, MRS assists people with disabilities to reach their dreams of employment and self-sufficiency.  When attending national meetings or joining national conference calls, whenever State Rehabilitation Councils (SRCs) are mentioned, Michigan is always singled out as having a model Council.  MRS and the Council have a history of being solution focused.  MRS gets its fair share of critique when there are areas that can be improved upon, but to date, the Council has approached not through blame but through the intent to find improvements and realistic solutions.  MRS continues to be grateful for this.

Performance
So far this year, MRS has assisted over 5,000 people with disabilities into employment that is of their choosing, that they worked with MRS to achieve, and that they find satisfactory.  99% of those customers’ cases are closed into competitive employment.  This is about 80% of the goal, with a bit over a month and a half to go.  So far this year, MRS has served over 38,000 people.

Budget
MRS is targeted to come in under budget this year with 73% of a budget spent, which is about 10% under budget.  This is a combination of cost savings efforts and the impact on a hiring slowdown from DHS.  For FY 2014, we still need to obtain about 3 million dollars in general fund dollars to be able to maintain our budget level for next year and to avoid waiting lists for people with disabilities seeking employment.  DHS is working hard to find the 3 million dollars for the customers we serve. If we don’t get the 3 million, a total of 14 million dollars will be returned to RSA for disbursement to other states.

Staff
Currently, MRS has 458 staff with 92 vacancies.  Key vacancies include 22 counselor positions that are vacant.  This is after filling about 15 counseling vacancies.  These vacancies are lowering the number of customers we serve per year, and if these vacancies continue into the new year, we will be faced with the prospect of waiting lists for customers desiring a pathway to employment.  MRS’ hope is to fill these positions once we have received good news on the 3 million in additional match that we are waiting to receive.  In addition to counseling staff, we are down staff at MCTI, supervisory staff, Central Office, and other locations.

Innovation
Despite these challenges, MRS continues to find new and better ways to innovate and improve outcomes for customers.

Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Project

A pilot program called the Youth Works Project is providing work-based learning experiences for youths in state parks to increase their chance of post-secondary employment success.  The DNR, education agencies, and MRS have combined resources to serve more than 80 transition youth in the program. Participants are secondary education students or recent graduates with disabilities. This summer’s project includes 14 DNR state parks/recreation areas across Michigan.

Students focus on developing essential employability skills, like problem-solving or teamwork, and perform basic maintenance duties. These paid summer experiences help build confidence through valuable real-world training for students.

Postsecondary Education Rehabilitation Transition (PERT)

MCTI began a new program this year called Postsecondary Education Rehabilitation Transition, or the PERT Program.  It was a transition initiative being piloted through MRS at MCTI.  PERT Program services will be provided on the MCTI Campus where students reside in dormitories.  The PERT Program was a one-week program that assists students in their transition from high school to post-secondary options by helping them answer these questions:  What are my talents?  What are my interests?  What types of jobs might I enjoy doing?  What skills do I need to become employed?  What do I need to learn to live on my own?  Students were provided evaluations and opportunities to learn their best styles for learning.

Idea Stream

The Idea Stream is an employee engagement tool to gather staff input on decision making and innovative changes to how MRS Staff does its work.  So far, the Idea Stream Team has advocated for the following:  more texting capabilities for counselors who are serving customers who are deaf and also those serving transition youth, launched a campaign to get input on the MRS vision statement, streamlining and making referral source data in our AWARE system more user friendly, and a proposal for expanding our scanning capabilities to make it easier to share information internally and to eliminate the need for two filing systems (i.e. the AWARE digital file and the “hard” file in the local office).  The team also looked at the research which strongly suggests coaching & mentoring can enhance morale, motivation and productivity and reduce staff turnover as individuals feel valued and connected with both small and large organizational changes.  The Team has provided resources for MRS to develop a mentoring program.

All of these suggestions from MRS staff through the technology and work of the Idea Stream Team have resulted in the Executive Team approving work teams to work on making these ideas a reality.

Closing
MRS continues to work collaboratively with other parts of DHS to strengthen and align services to customers.  Likewise, MRS is working with other state agencies like BSBP and our community partners.

Although there is still work to be done in transitioning MRS fully into DHS, the major hurdles have been jumped and the momentum is shifting, rightfully so, from the focus on this internal aligning to a refocus on improved customer service.  As this fiscal year ends and the first anniversary of MRS being within DHS approaches, the leadership and staff of MRS are intent upon doing what we do best, which is to help people with disabilities chart a path to employment and self-sufficiency for themselves and their families.

Questions/Comments for Lou Adams:

Question (Q) - Heading into the new fiscal year with the huge match issue that MRS struggles with, where is MRS at with this and could the Council help with this in any way?  The Council talked initially with Director Corrigan, and she said, yes, the Council could help with this.  It seems a lot of things could be solved with money for MRS to be able to run its program.

Answer (A) – In the past, there have been huge jumps in services provided when MRS has more money (i.e. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funds a few years ago).  Will still leave 10 million at federal table, even if get the 3 million.   The number jumps to 26 million left at the federal table if MRS doesn’t get the 3 million.  It then becomes more like a 7 million shortfall.  This has been a persistent issue – MRS has had 200+ local agreements to manage, which bring their own challenges.  MRS is not sure what’s going to happen with Medicare/Medicaid, since they may have less money themselves to match with MRS in the future.  While looking at new match opportunities, all of this may still result in waiting lists.  MRS is under constraints with educating the legislature as civil service staff.  Other entities are receiving more funds, so that helps some people with disabilities, but MRS would love to receive all of its match to be able to serve more people with disabilities.

Q - Regarding travel restrictions – how/why has this happened?

A - While it is likely that DHS had exceeded its budget for travel for this year, they have implemented the travel restrictions.  However, it is also likely that the restrictions will be lifted for the new FY 2014 in October.

Q - Director Corrigan did tell the membership that one of their roles would be to help pursue more match for MRS.  Would now be the time, with MRS Champions around the state to be able to start educating legislators about the match?  Could some of your staff and perhaps members of the MCRS Executive Team meet to discuss some options?

A - Yes, MRS would like to help MCRS in any way it can help advocate for MRS to be able to make match.  MRS’ focus is to not lose the 3 million in order to avoid a waiting list and staff needs to be able to continue to do the good work with customers.

Q - MRS has been challenged by business operations of the Council this year.  Where is MRS at with a final decision about this?

A - The CS 138 Form is a form filled out to help make a determination for the Council to go back into or continue to stay outside of state government.  The form has been completed, with a 40-day timeframe; it then goes to Civil Service for determination.  The 40-day period has expired on August 5, so it is expected that a final decision will be made soon.  From DHS, it sounds more cost effective for the cost of the Council to continue to remain outside of state government.

Q - The Centers for Independent Living (CIL) Network received money for a demonstration grant for working with VR for individuals.  Could some of that money be used as match money?

Q - MRS may be able to use some of the money, but it would rely on the ability to serve eligible customers.  The Council can help educate partners and legislators by getting more money in grants to support the work through agreements, which benefits more people with disabilities toward employment and self-sufficiency.

Comment - With appreciation of the MRS update, in transitioning to the next fiscal year, I would like to see what role the Council can leverage with advocacy with the legislature and partners to make this a goal to happen next year.

Comment - While still under scrutiny of AG’s Office, make sure to read Executive Order (EO) 2012-10 to make sure the Council doesn’t violate laws, do any lobbying, etc.

Q - A speaker from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) spoke at the MARO Spring Conference about possible available monies.  Are there any opportunities for match with this group?  At the conference, M. Pemble made a suggestion for MEDC and MRS to get together to have discussion about this opportunity, which received a round of applause.

A - Yes, some follow-up discussions have been planned through the Innovation Unit.

Comment - a recommendation was made for the Council’s Executive Team to have discussion about this at their next meeting and to develop an action plan to move things forward, within the guidelines of the EO.  Nationally, there has been a lot of progress with SRCs ‘educating’ their legislators, as opposed to requesting more money for their VR agencies.

Update-Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs – Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (LARA-BSBP):  Ed Rodgers, Director

BSBP has received permission to establish a 4th Division – Business Assistance and Development Program.  The new Division will assist businesses to continue or be created in Michigan, with a focus to assist individuals who are either in the private sector in businesses or would like to start up a business if they qualify for BSBP services.  A new director, Rob Essenberger, has been hired for the Division.  He is a former operator of a business within the Business Enterprise Program (BEP) and the Bureau is excited to be partnering with the legislature to develop a training center that will eventually expand beyond the food service industry.  The new Division will be located in the Anderson House Office Building.

BEP

A press release recently announced that the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) has plans to put restaurants in at some rest stops over the next year.  This probably will not happen as a result of work done by some BSBP Staff.  They will likely want to close some rest stops that are not frequented often.  Michigan doesn’t have toll roads – it’s an open road system.

Youth Camp Program

Next week, BSBP staff will be involved with a Youth Camp Program in Petoskey, which are funded mostly by contributions and very little BSBP funds.

Upper Peninsula (UP) Fair

BSBP will have a booth at the UP Fair next week, which will be staffed by BSBP representatives.  1.9% of Michigan’s population is legally blind, so they will likely touch base with present clients, potential clients, and/or families.  Geography is always an issue in the UP, so BSBP is excited to increase its presence in the UP.

The May visit of RSA to BSBP was successful, and RSA seems satisfied with the first year of BSBP.

Following some criticisms in the past, some research was accomplished indicating that with 1.9% of Michigan’s population having legal blindness, 20% of BSBP Staff is blind.

The BSBP Training Center in Kalamazoo has a new Director, Lisa Kisiel.  200 applicants  applied, which was narrowed down to 50 and then to 10, with unanimous agreement that Lisa would be the best candidate.  She was formerly a regional manager for the Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids area.  During her tenure as Acting Director, Lisa successfully reduced the waiting list for people to get into the Training Center from 6 months to 6 weeks.  Any Council Members who would like to visit the Training Center may contact Sue Luzenski to arrange a visit.

The BSBP State Plan was submitted.  Thanks again for a job well done by Marlene and Shori, who worked with Leamon Jones to help complete the BSBP State Plan process.

So far this year, BSBP has served between 3500-3700 clients, which is on track, with no drop in services.

A meeting took place recently with a national vending company from Iowa that will help update the vending equipment and services.  BSBP has about 300 vending locations around the state.

The Governor and legislature (senate) decided that BSBP needed an increase in full-time employees (FTEs).  BSBP is regulated by the Department and Budget Director for how many FTEs that BSBP is authorized to have.  An increase was requested from 107 to 113; the House of Representatives decided it should be 107.  BSBP worked for three days to get the House to agree to 113; the House of Representatives eventually agreed to the 113.

BSBP has increased and reassured Ferris State University that BSBP will continue to partner with their Optometrist School, which serves the youth and senior citizens in Michigan.  Their Optical/Low Vision Program has been recognized nationally.

In July, Wayne County decided that they would eliminate all spending for Wayne County Library for people with physical disabilities and blindness.  If the budget was not restored, BSBP would have had to help out.  With some subtle advocating, the last word was that the library will be restored in their budget for next year.

Partner Reports

Client Assistance Program (CAP) – B. Sabourin

33 service requests closed this past quarter as related to information and referral.  44 closed service requests for MRS, 3 related to BSBP, and none related to CILs.  CAP is now down to two advocates.  Alicia Paterni has resigned and another advocate is still on maternity leave.  The two remaining staff members are great advocates, but the number of calls are up lately, with calls relating to a variety of requests.  In October, CAP will be replacing one Advocate position and possibly a second.  A community survey opportunity was shared via the following web page:  www.surveymonkey.com/s/flsd6dd .  The Michigan Protection and Advocacy website has been improved tremendously; everyone is encouraged to check it out at www.mpas.org .  All families in Michigan should be made aware of the updated site, since the Special Education manual is now available online.

Public Comment

Joe Harcz

Part of my issues are with the roles and responsibilities in the state/federal relationship.  I go to some comments by Mr. Rodgers and everybody referring over to executive order, as opposed to looking at roles and responsibilities clearly delineated in federal law of an SRC.  Also, each and every one of you are individuals and have access to other groups and anybody can make, can petition our government under the first amendment of the United States Constitution, you know, to give legislators and other people information.  Those are individuals.  Second comment:  it is very alarming to me, in the deterioration, I do know the money problems and everything else, but isn’t it alarming, doesn’t it ring alarm bells in what Brian said about what they’re receiving, five complaints per day, apiece, that’s ten per day.  You know, something is very broken here.  Third comment:  This goes back to the WIA Reauthorization and several problems.  This reorganization really does effectively block grant these federal funds.  Although quite frankly, I’ve seen states manipulate these programs into block grant programs including this state right now; but there’s another component to this and that’s the maintenance of the 14C wage exceptions for people with disabilities, mostly at our CROs, which is totally insulting to people with disabilities.  The sub-minimum wage payment in a sheltered environment runs contrary to anything morally or ethically responsible by our very government and the sheltered notions goes against the integrated setting mandate of the Olmstead Decision and of everything holy.  Why aren’t we putting more money into supportive employment programs and into getting people out of these dead-end, sheltered, non-integrated settings and taking the lead like other states and as advocates, like Oregon, and now even New York, and doing this.  This is not, this is a violation of the fundamental tenets of any civil rights law and I’m talking about the ADA here, and others, and that is that people with disabilities are fully integrated into our society, including in work environments, and that we’re paid on equitable terms, regardless as to our disability, that we don’t have a sub-standard wage differential where some people get paid as little as forty-four cents an hour, why CEOs of these community rehab programs are making hundreds of thousands.  The disparity in these programs is just incredible, obvious, and plain at its face, and it does go to the role of the MRC to look at those and to look at following the law in these programs.  And finally, going back to these programs, what are we doing to ensure our vendor and sub-contractor compliance under 504 and ensuring that they’re fully accessible to all people with disabilities.  I know of many blind people who have applied for these programs, even some of the good programs, and I won’t even mention them, and they were turned away because these CRPs did not give reasonable accommodations upon request and referred people over to Michigan Commission for the Blind or were told “oh, you can’t do that because you’re blind.”  My God, what is wrong with us?  When we have places that serve people with disabilities that don’t make reasonable accommodations… Am I through?  Is my time up?  OK, I ended.  I’m done.

Joe Sontag

2nd Vice President to National Federation of the Blind (NFB) of Michigan

I have no responses necessary, I have a couple of, maybe three, comments very quickly.  Number one:  I am impressed with the way this telephone conference is working and I urge someone, Marlene perhaps, or someone working with her to get in contact with BSBP and tell them how you do it.  We have had ongoing issues, not because of lack of interest or lack of competence, but frankly I don’t think they’ve got the equipment they need and maybe a few other pointers on procedure would help BSBP get the job done as wonderfully as you folks have done it today.  Secondly, I wanted to point out that the National Federation of the Blind is interested to see the WIA process go forward.  We have a very serious difficulty with the idea that RSA should be moved from the Department of Education to the U.S. Department of Labor.  We’re opposed to it and we are also opposed to Section 511, which allows placement in sheltered-shop situations where folks are able to be paid legally sub-minimum wages under the provisions of Section 14C - we are opposed to that.  We’re asking that that part of the proposed WIA legislation be taken out, and we would be very interested in working with anyone that feels similarly inclined.  And, last but not least, not to beat up on Ed Rodgers a little bit, but we in the NFB of Michigan, we’re expressing, and will continue to express, concerns about the level of employment of blind people at the new BSBP.  While 20% seems like an impressive number, with respect to the 1.9% of the general population that is blind or visually impaired, the staffing level occupied by blind or visually impaired persons at the former Commission for the Blind has been as high as 33% recently.  So, you don’t need to take my word for it, investigate it, and you’ll find out.  And with that, I’m done, thank you.

Partner Reports - continued

Hannahville Indian Community - C. Bergquist

Hannahville has a 5-year grant program.  Three service counties are part of the service area, which serves tribal members of any tribal member living off reservation and tribal members of the Hannahville Community, which has been in operation since 1995.  Hannahville serves about 100 people per year.  They have a national association and conduct trainings on a regular basis to work to increase the quality of staff and services on reservations.  They have had stable staffing for over 10 years, with excellent staff on board.  For the third year, there has been no competition for federal grant programs, due in part to a challenge in funding at the federal level.  Until this question is answered, there will likely not be competition for federal grants in the near future.  They are looking forward to having BSBP in the UP for the upcoming fair.

Michigan Alliance for Families – C. Pack Ivey

An overview was provided of the Michigan Alliance for Families and the services it provides to families statewide.  Their website (www.michiganallianceforfamilies.org) contains a lot of great information for parents, including a flashing add for a posting that seeks four parent mentors to be available 24 hours each week.

MI Department of Education/Special Education - S. Diamond (excused)

Report not available.

DHS-MRS Administrative Hearings Manager – R. O’Connor (excused)

A written report was provided in the meeting packet.

Michigan Statewide Independent Living Council (MiSILC)

The SILC has not heard anything recently from RSA regarding approval of the submitted State Plan for Independent Living.  SILC is also working with the Governor’s Appointments Office to fill the vacancy for its shared member with the MCRS, Sheila Ashcraft, who recently passed away.

Adjournment

There was no further business for discussion.

A motion, made by M. Tomlinson and seconded by B. Sabourin, was passed to adjourn the meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:15 a.m.

NEXT BUSINESS MEETING:

October 4, 2013

Location – to be announced