[nfbmi-talk] Leadership Seminar

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 13:24:27 UTC 2013

20812 Ann Arbor Trail
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127

August 19, 2013

Dear Michigan Federationists:

     The Michigan Affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind is
planning a Leadership Seminar at the National Center in Baltimore from
November 14 to November 17 2013. Each person will be responsible for a
$50 nonrefundable deposit which will only be returned if the entire
trip is canceled due to insufficient participation. This money will be
given to the National Center to offset the cost of our food. There
must be 35 participants in order to make the trip. The National Center
can hold up to 50 participants. Participants will be accepted on a
first come first served basis. Please pay early. This guarantees your
spot on the trip. Each individual will be assigned a room with at
least one or more other individuals at the National Center. I believe
rooms hold from two to five individuals.
     Participants will also be responsible for their meals on the way
to and from the National Center. The bus will pick up individuals and
depart Lansing at 5:00 A.M. on Thursday, November 17. It will then
proceed to Detroit and pick up individuals at 6:30. The bus will then
proceed to Baltimore. Two stops will be made along the way so that
individuals can purchase their own food. These will most likely be
fast food stops.
     While in Baltimore all participants will be expected to be up
early and participating fully with the group for all meals and
activities. This will be a working week end where individuals learn
about how the National Center works with us as members of a team to
help change what it is to be blind in Michigan and the rest of our
nation. There will be an opportunity to tour the International Braille
and Technology Center and to buy aids and appliances in independence
market. Expect to be very busy in seminars or break out sessions
through all of Friday and Saturday. On Saturday evening, there three
possibilities that can occur. This will be decided by the Board.
Either we will continue to have Leadership Seminar at the National
Center, or we will have an activity at the National Center, or we will
take a trip to the Harbor for dinner. If the Harbor trip is chosen,
then we will all be financially responsible for that meal as well as
our meals on the way to and from the National Center.
     On Sunday, we will be responsible for wiping down the bathroom of
the room where we stay, as well as stripping the beds and placing
linens in designated areas. We may also be asked to vacuum the rooms.
After breakfast and clean up, we will head back to Michigan. We are
all responsible for our own meals on the way back. Again, there will
be two stops. I estimate that we will arrive in Detroit some time
between 10:00 and 12:00 P.M. and Lansing an hour and a half after
that. This is your chance to learn about how our important
organization works. I look forward to seeing you at the Michigan
Leadership Seminar.

Sincerely,
Larry Posont
President
 (313) 271-3058
 Email: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
 Web page: www.nfbmi.org

 Vehicle Donations Take the Blind Further Donate your car to the
National Federation of the Blind today!
 For more information, please visit:
www.carshelpingtheblind.org
 or call 1-855-659-9314