[nfbmi-talk] newsline

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 12:39:46 UTC 2013

Dear Fellow Michigan Federationists,

I believe our President meant to write that Mr. Rodgers decided to fund
Newsline for an excellent program that so well serves the blind citizens of
Michigan, and is a most worthwhile expenditure of taxpayer dollars.

While Mr. Rodgers acts like taxpayer money is coming out of his own pocket,
that certainly is not the case.  Whether the funding was a knee-jerk
reaction to the media coverage of NEWSLINE, or Mr. Rodgers was advised or
told to fund NEWSLINE, from authority above him in government, or if Mr.
Rodgers put the need of blind people above politics for the time being, we
can be assured this funding issue is not resolved, and we, as the blind of
Michigan, must continue to work for full funding and expansion of MEWSLINE
here in Michigan.  Just consider, as 10,000 baby-boomer generation citizens
turn age 65 each day for years to come, it is estimated 4,400 of those
citizens will encounter some form and level of blindness here in Michigan,
making print and newspaper reading a challenge or an impossibility, so the
need for full funding and expansion to a greater number is vital to the
continued independence and fuller life of the blind here in Michigan.  In
addition, the number above does not include those who are likely eligible
between age 55 and 64; a segment of population also served as senior blind
citizens. The numbers in need grow greater daily, and the benfit to the
blind is invaluable and priceless.