[nfbmi-talk] If it is going to be, it is up to me

Terry Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 02:56:02 UTC 2013

Hello Fellow Federationist,

In my role as an advocate for the blind, one role of a Federationist, I
attempt to educate blind individuals how to empower and advocate for
themselves, so they can truly become self-confident and independent in their
daily and life activities, and when it is appropriate to involve others on
their path.

Below is text I often turn to in my attempt to empower a person when they
seek my assistance.  The point here is the need for self-help with guidance
from someone who has been there done that, which makes my role  more of a
mentor than an advocate.

Here is the text:

When was the last time you attempted to call and e-mail your rehabilitation
counselor?

Believe me, I will not get a response from a rehabilitation counselor, if
the counselor is not hearing fromm you, the rehabilitation client.

If your desired employment goal is to be achieved, you are the one as the
client that must be in the driver's seat, taking the action to get to your
desired destination.  There is a saying in business, "If it is to be
achieved, it is up to me.".   Since it is your life and desired goal, you
must adopt that motto on your path to achieving your desired goal.  I cannot
do for you that which you can and must do for yourself, to achieve your
goal.  I can only attempt to make the path easier when, and only when, you
have gotten no response to your attempts to push ahead for your employment
goal.

I know it is difficult and frustrating when you do not get responses and
make progress toward your goal.  But you must put forth the effort, make
repeated contacts, and document your contacts with e-mail follow-up, and
then, when that has failed, I can suggest what can then be done , and then
assist you, to get an appropriate response, but you must do the walk to
advance along the path to your goal.

When was the last time you took action toward achievement of your desired
employment goal?  What was that action you took?

As I suggested previously, you need to contact your counselor every other
day until you either get a response, or your consistent repeated attempts at
contact get no response at all.  Again, each and every attempt to make
contact and progress must be documented with e-mail follow-up.  By doing
this consistently and repeatedly, then you have a document trail of your
efforts to take a different approach to achieve action and progress on your
path toward appropriate training and/or employment.

At the point of the different approach is where I can be of assistance.  But
any different approach must come only after documented consistent and
repeated attempted contacts and actions taken by you as the rehabilitation
client.