[nfbmi-talk] Fw: inescusable denials of information

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Nov 1 12:02:57 UTC 2013

I think this is the bill you're talking about Terry?

Bill to move Court of Claims denounced as partisan By Paul Egan and Kathleen
Gray Detroit Free Press Lansing Bureau Legislation to move the state Court

of Claims away from Ingham County Circuit Court to the Michigan Court of
Appeals passed the Senate today. The state Senate passed the measure on a
straight

party-line, 26-11, vote. For about 40 years, the Ingham County Circuit
Court, which tilts heavily Democratic, also has served as the Court of
Claims where

lawsuits against the state are supposed to be filed. The situation has led
to controversies between Republican governors and Ingham judges, notably
former

Gov. John Engler and Judge James Giddings over his handling of a prisoner
rights class action lawsuit. More recently, Highland Park labor activist
Robert

Davis received favorable rulings involving the emergency manager legislation
from Ingham Circuit Judge William Collette, only to have those rulings
overturned

by the Michigan Court of Appeals. Democrats called Senate Bill 652 a blatant
partisan bill meant to thwart the will of the people. This is terrible
public

policy and flies in the face of open government," said Senate Minority
Leader Gretchen Whitmer, D-East Lansing. This is a clear attempt to tamper
with

the power of our courts, and in turn, the power of our people. This bill is
nothing more than partisan rigging and shameless political protectionism,"

she added. But Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said any politics occurred in
the 1970s when the Court of Claims was placed in Ingham County, "where
judges

are elected by about 3% of the state's population. This bill allows people
of Michigan more access because they can go to four locations to file their

claims," he added. This is good reform. The legislation still requires
approval by the House. Chief Ingham Circuit Judge Janelle Lawless could not
immediately

be reached for comment.