[nfbmi-talk] Registered Nurse wanted

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Nov 27 10:53:18 UTC 2013

Dear Larry and All,

While I understand where you are coming from in general about the agency I
must slightly disagree on this particular position. For one thing this state
rehabilitation facility must take on all people who are blind, and
rightfully so. That includes people with multiple disabilities and indeed,
some very bad chronic illnesses. Moreover, they wouldn't be there if they
didn't need to learn skills of blindness in part to manage in alternate ways
chronic illnesses like say diabetes for one example.

There is also a liability issue here which is obvious.

Now, allow me just one example of what can happen and why some sort of
medical staff is necessary from my personal experience.

While performing my practicum at the center some years back and indeed at
the 25th anniversary of the MCB I came to know a fellow who was blind do to
diabetes. Now he was very competent in a lot of things but was really
brushing up on his Braille, mobility, etc. like many need to do who lose
sight later in life and which is one reason for such a center in the first
place. Anyway this fellow was very competent in testing his levels and in
regularly injecting himself with insulin as he was insulin dependent. But,
he also had so many shots that scar tissue built up.

Unfortunately one of his shots simply didn't "take" because it hit scar
tissue which he couldn't feel.

Later he crashed as they say. And he could have died without prompt medical
attention and that was in the night time by the way.

So I really don't have an issue with this particular position to make a long
story short.

However, as per your general comments Larry you are right on.

We know who have listened to the meetings or have read the transcripts that
the chair of the commission is a very nice, and even bright lady. But, she
is sighted, and frankly looks at us in the medical model of it all. In fact
on the record she has called us patients.

Now, as per the training center and in general I don't think the current
regime even things of us that kindly.

I think they think of we consumers not as clients, or even patients, or even
as really human. I think they think of us as commodities at best and as
nuisances and useless eaters at worst.

So again while I disagree with you on this particular position,
respectfully, I do not disagree with you at all on the general tendency of
the Arwood/Zimmer/Rodgers administration.

Oh and they don't even give a rat's posterior about basic rehabilitation at
the training center either, or basics in training in the skills of
blindness. They just want a "cookie cutter" approach to that aspect of which
they know nothing, and I repeat nothing!

Moreover, as Christine can attest most well they don't even care.
In short while we rightfully rail against the "medical model" and the
"charitable model" of viewing and rehabilitation of the blind this
administration doesn't even reach the good intentions, albeit misplaced, of
these two models for at least the best amongst those types do care about
blind people.

They don't understand our real needs and that we have a goal of freedom
through self-empowerment. But, they do sincerely care.

The administratin of BSBP and their controllers don't even care.

Respectfully,

Joe