[nfbmi-talk] Job Posting - Student Assistants in Kalamazoo

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Oct 4 20:29:28 UTC 2013

Actually I really don't have an issue with hiring student assistent's
including the type of program and training you are talking about here
Christine so long as they are blind. We have too many people who need
general and meaningful work experience not to do these things. In fact both
of the parentss, of blind youth who spoke before the commission earlier
reported this as a lacking issue (meaningful work experience) of any type.

But once again there are no requirements in this thing for hiring blind
students, nor were there any in the now pulled student assistent program in
BADP which was all about running a franchise at the Anderson HOB anyway.

Nor, do I have issues with the pay range for either of those, especially for
blind students, or any student for that matter for they ranged pretty well
for part time employees. And this one I believe was at $12 per hour and not
minimum wage for sure.

It was also interesting that this post did include the collective bargaining
unit (UAW), while the BAD P notice did not.

And before goofballs like Rodgers says we can't have a priority for hiring
blind, or indeed otherwise disabled folks, including part timers like this
well here federal law is supposed to trump state civil service law and
Section 501 of the Rehabilitation Act does promote affirmative action
requirements in these regards.

(That goes to all VR entities and is supposed to be adressed in the State
Plan and supplements along with documentation)....Oops I can't get tthat
very instrument for they (BSBP/LARA?FOIA, and likely NSA) has made it a
classified document, very hush hush don't we know and all that?

Regardless we don't even know who is currently working in any capacity for
BSBP as their online directory hasn't been updated since October 1,
2012....And the agency really turned my simple request for that information
in to another never ending loop of FOIA requests which weren't FOIA requests
to begin with.

Man, I never thought I'd ever say this but Susan Tierney actually did a
pretty good job with keeping basic information on the web site, and in fact
followed the law and did a good job regarding CIC information as well.

And compared to the current regime CAnnon, et al were very transparent
though in the public record yours trully dogged activities helped ensure
that.

But that is indeed one of the roles of a consumer advocate for those who are
blind, and indeed, in my mind a primary role of NFB MI and nationally in
ensuring that at very least the activities of this federally funded VR
entity complies with allapplicable laws, let alone transparency to really
assure that, let alone the nuances of how best toevaluate, accesss, and to
rehabilitate a person who is blind which is their charge to begin with.

Now, once again in full circle I have no problem with these positions so far
as they go, and can see real value in them, with the provisos that they
should go to blind students, and, as you rightfully suggest here the roles,
responsabilities, and appropriate training of them should be in place too.

One more item here before I cease and desist from this topic. I'm also
concerned that these student assistents are only "earmarked" to work with
other youth at the center. As we know the center is mostly for adults and
there are only limited numbers of youth during the summer mostly, who
participate in these programs.

I see no problem for example with having a well trained, Blind, local
college student working during these hours and assisting the newly blinded
adult. In fact I see great merits in that as we all know.

When I attended the center, with much humility, I did in fact get much
assistence from blind peers often many years younger, but above the age of
eighteen.

One was a young lady from Bosnia, who was twenty three years old (and who
later was a student if not then).

Man, oh man that girl knew her Braille! In fact she new all U.S. codes and
German and other codes too. There is a lot of talent amonst us. We all have
strengths and weaknesses I guess for lack of better words but we are not
lacking in talent and it should not be wasted and it should be compensated
if shared in this sort of learning environment.

But, I do digress.