[nfbmi-talk] Fw: FOIA Response to Request for Information on Contract Between BSBP/LARA, Perkins & FCC

Marcus Simmons president at map-n.org
Mon Oct 28 20:22:41 UTC 2013

As the sands pass thru the hourglass.
----- Original Message -----
From: Haynes, Carla (LARA)
To: president at map-n.org
Cc: Rodgers, Edward (LARA) ; Luzenski, Sue (LARA) ; Pemble, Mike (LARA) ; Belknap, Katie (LARA) ; Jones, Leamon (LARA) ; Gaston, Diamalyn (LARA) ; Duell, Elsie (LARA)
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 3:04 PM
Subject: FOIA Response to Request for Information on Contract Between BSBP/LARA, Perkins & FCC

October 28, 2013

Mr. Marcus Simmons

E-mail: president at map-n.org

28179 Brentwood

Southfield, MI  48076-3069

Re:  FOIA Response to Request for Information on Contract between LARA/BSBP, Perkins School for the Blind and the FCC

Dear Mr. Simmons:

This email is in response to your October 21st, 23rd & 27th, 2013, email requests for information.  Please be advised that the Bureau of Services for Blind Persons is combining these requests and processing them under the state's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), MCL 15.231 et seq.  This request was received by this office on October 22, 2013.

You have requested information as described in your emails (which are also below) as:

"..Apparently, Perkins renegotiated the contract with LARA earlier this year and signed the agreement in April of 2013.  However, in July of 2013, Perkins refused to pay for services and directed providers to seek their money from BSBP.  Therefore, I am requesting a copy of that contract."

(Description from email of 10-23-13): "I am writing you today to request a copy of the contract between the Perkins School for the Blind and DSBP concerning obligations in the "I Can Connect" program in which you alluded to in your comments on Saturday at the NFBMI State Convention."

(Description from email of 10-27-13): "I am writing you today for the third time to request a copy of the contract between the Perkins School for the Blind and DSBP concerning obligations in the "I Can Connect" program in which you alluded to in your comments on Saturday, October 19, 2013 at

FOIA Response - M. Simmons

October 28, 2013

Page 2 of 2

the NFBMI State Convention. The audio clip is attached for your recollection."

In order to determine the extent of the research time, the size and number of records of nonexempt information within BSBP responsive to your request, a search must be undertaken.  For this reason, it is necessary to extend the time for response, as permitted by Section 5(2)(d) of the FOIA, through November 12, 2013, for your request.

If it is determined that there is a cost involved in the processing of this request, you will be sent an email which will include an invoice outlining that cost (before or no later than November 12, 2013).  This email may either request a deposit (if the cost is over $50.00) or request payment of the total cost if the amount is under $50.00.

Please note that nothing within the federal American with Disabilities Act (ADA ), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (RA), as amended, or the state's FOIA (MCL 15.231 et seq.) requires a public body to process FOIA requests free of charge.  Further, while the ADA and Section 504 of the RA may mandate that, upon request, material be produced in an accessible format without charge, neither the ADA or Section 504 of the RA preclude a public body from charging costs under the state's FOIA. Thusly, please note that no labor fee charges have been, or will be, assessed to convert existing, nonexempt public records responsive to your requests into an accessible format to forward to you.

Sincerely,

Carla Miller Haynes, FOIA Coordinator

Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

Attachments - 3:  Email Requests for Information

cc:     Edward F. Rodgers II, Sue Luzenski

          Mike Pemble, Katie Belknap

          Jones, Leamon, Elsie Duell

I have been advised from two sources on the progress of the "I Van Connect" program., from you and Senator Gregory. In both statements it was alluded to a signed contract between both parties.
REF.:

"Senator Gregory was advised that the program is offered through the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) and is part of a 3 party contract between the Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP) in LARA, the Perkins School for the Blind (Perkins) and the FCC.  The contract calls for Perkins to expend funds for all program costs and to then seek reimbursement from BSBP.  BSBP then submits the information to the FCC, and they send the funds to LARA to pay Perkins.  It is a grant program through the FCC which Perkins agreed to.

Apparently, Perkins renegotiated the contract with LARA earlier this year and signed the agreement in April of 2013.  However, in July of 2013, Perkins refused to pay for services and directed providers to seek their money from BSBP."

Therefore, I am requesting a copy of that contract.

Changing what it means to be blind,
Marcus Simmons, President,
Wayne County chapter NFBMI
28179 Brentwood