[nfbmi-talk] Hortons spin, Zimmer style

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 18:40:57 UTC 2013

Hi Joe,

I first want to say how laudible your voice is with regard to the law and
civil rights of all persons with disabilities, and secondly, I wish to say
that I do not see a contribution or benefit to your multiple attacks on
other persons within the cause.  We  all are committed to the same outcomes,
and we all, without exception, at times have said and done things that we
later, upon reflection,  found to be unwise and perhaps regretted saying or
doing, as a normal part of the human experience.  The past misjudgements
cannot be erased, and we each can only commit and redouble our efforts as
individuals, to do better in the future, not repeating our misjudgements of
the past.  If we all simply speak to the causes and propose workable
solutions to the many challenges and thretsto the advances we have made over
the years, then, in my opinion, we are all on the same and right path.  It
seems to me that our common enemy is the ongoing ignorance about blindness,
by the uninformed people, whether the public, the politicians and public
administrators, sighted, legally blind, and blind alike, whom are in need of
education about our reality, that blindness is only an inconvenience, and
when we are given and take the opportunity to adapt to the reality of such
an inconvenience, just like any inconvenience we all encounter as part of
the human experience daily throughout life.

Like a white cane, civil rights laws are simply a tool to assist us in
achieving our opportunity outcome that any tool provides to assist in
achieving any goal in life.  The civil rights laws and regulations are
simply only one of many means to an end--equal opportunity and access as a
tool for achieving our common goal of independence, self-sufficiency, a
contributor to society as a taxpayer, and fulfillment of our unique
potential and dreams in all areas of life.  This perspective in no way
downplays or dismisses the importance of the civil rights and employment
laws and regulations as tools available to us to achieve our ultimate
desired outcomes described above.  Rather, this perspective emphasizes that
the true and most valuable tools available to us is education and speaking
as one voice in our philosophy and desired outcomes, and not the presence or
absence of the tools at our disposal to achieve our desired outcomes.
Remember, the tools at our disposal, such as the laws and regulations can
and may be changed, and may in fact be changed to no longer be an effective
tool for our use, depending on whom the powers-to-be are at any point in
time, but our philosophy and tireless drive shall not change, and it is
these constant factors that will win any battle in which we are engaged as
the NFB.

Therefore Joe and everyone, I strongly suggest we refrainfrom personal
evaluation and attacks that only serve to distract from the real issues and
our basic cause.  Let's discuss the present and the future, for they are the
only point in time in which we can have a positive impact on the condition
and lives of all blind persons collectively.