[nfbmi-talk] job opratunities for youth

Christine Boone christineboone2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 18:32:00 UTC 2013

Man Georgia, why are you not working as a vocational rehabilitation counselor?  You would be the bomb for sure!  I never saw so many great ideas and practical tips all tucked into such a concise email.
I am not sure I could recommend that any friend of mine sign up to work at Michigan's blindness agency in the current climate- but bless you for sharing your knowledge and ideas!

I echo your comments to Jeff, all of them.  Volunteering is a fantastic place to begin.  Often you can make arrangements to volunteer at a local business, and if your work is good, the business will offer to pay you.  It is a great way to remove stereotypes, gain wonderful experience in the real world of work, to get great  references for scholarship and employment applications later on and to stretch your own skills.

Thanks to some fantastic staff at the Training Center when I was there, many of our students found volunteer work experiences while they were in Kalamazoo and some of those turned into paying jobs.

Christine