[nfbmi-talk] Fw: FOIA Response to Request for Information on Wilson & Elster, Affirmative Action Plan & RSA Reports

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Apr 14 16:07:53 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Haynes, Carla (LARA)
To: joe harcz Comcast
Cc: Rodgers, Edward (LARA) ; Luzenski, Sue (LARA) ; Pemble, Mike (LARA) ; Belknap, Katie (LARA)
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2014 11:26 AM
Subject: FOIA Response to Request for Information on Wilson & Elster, Affirmative Action Plan & RSA Reports

April 14, 2014

Mr. Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

E-mail: joeharcz at comcast.net

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

Re:  FOIA Response to Request for Information on L. Wilson & L. Elster, Affirmative Action Plan and RSA Reports

Dear Mr. Harcz, Jr.:

This email is in response to your March 25, 2014, email request for information, received by this office on March 26, 2014, of which an extension was taken to April 11, 2014.  Please be advised that the Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP) is processing this request under the state's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), MCL 15.231 et seq.

You have requested information as described in your email which also is included below.

"Regardless I'm requesting the federal funds expended for the hiring of Ms. Lindsay Wilson and Ms. Lauren Elster you have expended for their jobs sir and just what V.R. tasks they do on behalf of V.R. of the blind in Michigan.

Moreover, I am requesting your (BSBps/LARAs) affirmative action plan under Section 503 as required by the above referenced, legal and regulatory requirements.

Also, I am requesting in accessible format and also to be posted forthwith to the BSBP web site all financial and other reports that are required to be sent to RSA. That includes in part all RSA 15 reports, all RSA (CSR 911) reports, and all reports relative to the implementation of the State Plan including all standards and indicators."

FOIA Response - P.J. Harcz, Jr.

April 14, 2014

Page 2 of 2

In regards to your request for information regarding Ms. Lindsay Wilson and Ms. Lauren Elster, your request is partially granted and partially denied.  As to the granted portion, the job specifications and pay range for the State of Michigan Student Assistant classification is available online at www.michigan.gov/mdcs, then Job Specifications/Pay, Student Assistant.  I have also attached a copy of the LARA General Policy, Student Assistant Program.  In regards to the denied portion of your request, under the FOIA, MCL 15.233, Section 3(5), does not require a public body to create a new record.  To the best of my knowledge, information or belief, we do not have documents in our possession responsive to your request.

In regards to your request for information regarding "your (BSBps/LARAs) affirmative action plan under Section 503 as required by the above referenced, legal and regulatory requirements", your request is granted as to documents pertaining to this request.  I have attached the LARA General Policy, Equal Employment Opportunity.

In regards to your request for "all financial and other reports that are required to be sent to RSA. That includes in part all RSA 15 reports, all RSA (CSR 911) reports, and all reports relative to the implementation of the State Plan including all standards and indicators", these reports are available on the web at www.rsa.ed.gov/, then select Michigan, then Reports and More RSA Programs (note that depending on which fiscal year you are searching for, the report may be either under Michigan Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (MLRA) or Michigan Commission for the Blind).

Under the provisions of MCL 15.240, Section 10(1) of the state's FOIA, you may (1) submit a written appeal regarding the disclosure denial of any portion of your FOIA request to Steve Arwood, Director, Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Michael Zimmer, Chief Deputy Director, P.O. Box 30004, Lansing, MI 48909. Your appeal must include the word "appeal" and identify the reason(s) for reversal of any disclosure denials; or (2) you may file an action in an appropriate court within 180 days after this notice. If you prevail in court action, the court may award you reasonable attorney fees, costs, and

FOIA Response - P.J. Harcz, Jr.

April 14, 2014

Page 2 of 2

disbursements. If the court finds the Department's actions to be arbitrary

and capricious, the court shall award you, in addition to any actual or compensatory damages, punitive damages in the amount of $500.00.

Sincerely,

Carla Miller Haynes, FOIA Coordinator

Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

cc:     Edward F. Rodgers II