[nfbmi-talk] Going to Cedar Point on August 23

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 23:37:55 UTC 2014

Hello Terri,

Pasted below my signature is an article from the Summer 2013 issue of the
Student Slate. The article specifically talks about visiting the Disney
theme parkes, but I would imagine you could use some of the same principles
when visiting Cedar Point. Anyway, I hope you find the article to be
helpful.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth

Experience the Magic
by Pam and Roland Allen

>From the editor: You probably already know about the countless theme parks
located in Orlando and may have even planned a trip to one during your
convention visit. Or, you may wonder how a blind person navigates these busy
attractions. Pam and Roland Allen are longtime Federationists and theme park
extraordinaires who have some excellent tips for navigating these parks as a
blind person. So read on, and get inspired to experience more than the
convention during your trip to Orlando!

This year, thousands of Federationists will be flocking to Orlando for our
73rd annual convention. Whether you are attending your first NFB convention
or you are a veteran, you know there is nothing more empowering and
inspiring. People from all over the world will come to learn about and to
share the positive message of the National Federation of the Blind, to see
the power of collective action, and to witness how lives are transformed and
the future is made brighter for all blind people.

Many of you may be planning to spend time in Orlando before or after the
convention to enjoy the incredible attractions. One of our favorite places
to visit is Disney World. It truly is "magical" regardless of your age! It
is also a travel adventure whether you are blind or sighted and a great
place to use your skills! Here are a few things we hope will be helpful as
you navigate the "happiest place on earth."

We have been to Disney World more than ten times. Although a couple of the
trips were enjoyed with our friends or family, the vast majority of the
visits have been just the two of us. Thus, we have navigated several of the
Disney hotels and all of the Disney theme parks and Downtown Disney as blind
travelers. We find it most convenient to stay on Disney property at a Disney
hotel since free transportation is plentiful. However, we have stayed
offsite. Just be sure to take possible transportation costs into account
when deciding your budget and also add in the time needed to shuttle between
your hotel and the various parks.

There are countless articles, books, and websites specializing in "all
things Disney" from where to stay to how to schedule your visit to deciding
on the best places to eat. We encourage you to do your research about the
various parks, restaurants, and attractions ahead of time so that you have
an idea of what attractions are at which parks. <Disneyworld.com> has a
thorough listing of all restaurants, menus, shows, and rides arranged by
park. Knowing ahead of time the "must do" activities for you will help make
your experience even more memorable! We will warn you right now that you
will always leave Disney wanting to come back for more. Since we will be in
Orlando for the next several years, you will have the opportunity multiple
times!

Disney World provides a variety of ways for blind guests to access
information at the parks. Our first stop is Guest Relations. Animal Kingdom,
the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Hollywood Studios all have Guest Relations'
offices located relatively close to the park entrance. At Guest Relations,
you can secure the information most helpful to you. We have used the Braille
guide book as well as the audio receivers provided by Disney. These
materials require a deposit which is refunded when you return the materials.
You may also want to ask a Disney cast member where the tactile map is of
each park.

The Braille guide book provides a description of the layout of the park as
well as offering detailed information about rides, shows, and restaurants.
The audio receivers are designed to provide detailed information and
descriptions of your surroundings as well as extensive descriptions about
many of the live shows and performances. When you pass an attraction, the
receiver will alert you. Our friends, Jesse and Mary Jo Hartle who are also
Disney fanatics like us, utilized the receivers at a performance of THE Lion
KING and enjoyed vivid descriptions of the action and costumes. The
receivers have a strap for carrying. We usually bring a backpack or bag to
carry the Braille guide book. (When you enter the parks, all bags are
searched so be prepared.) We would also ask someone at Guest Relations about
the schedule for the shows and live entertainment so we could plan
accordingly. There are numerous apps that are specific to Disney, but we
have not used them since we did not have iPhones last time we were visiting.

Many people have asked us about using canes in the parks. This is where
using the "pencil grip" is a definite must since the parks are extremely
crowded. We have taken our straight canes on several rides or have walked
with them to the ride and then given them to a cast member to hold while
riding if necessary. Our canes were always ready and waiting as soon as the
ride stopped so there was no problem at all. We found our straight canes to
be more durable in a crowded park. I lost a couple telescopic canes when
they were stepped on by accident. Cast members were happy to answer
questions if we had any and did not insist upon "over helping" us. We have
not traveled at Disney with a guide dog, but the National Association of
Guide Dog Users is an outstanding resource for tips.

When traveling around the parks, there are literally thousands of people to
ask directions when needed. In fact, the majority of guests are constantly
stopping cast members or visiting a store to ask for information.

Many of you have heard about FastPass which allows guests to get a specific
window of time during which to come back and experience specific
attractions. FastPass is a great feature because it saves time waiting in
line. There are FastPass ticket machines by many of the more popular
attractions. You insert your Disney pass/ticket in the machine, and it
prints out a ticket with your designated time slot. Again, there are always
people around to read the time to you. We have been told that it is also
possible to preorder FastPasses for up to four attractions in a park so
check with a Disney cast member about that possibility.

A few of the restaurants had Braille menus; most did not. We looked at many
of the menus online ahead of our visit, but servers were always more than
happy to read the full menu to us even at counter service restaurants.

To be honest with you, most of the tips we have shared are not specific to
blindness. As we say in the NFB, blindness is merely a characteristic. With
proper training, a positive attitude, and opportunity, it can be reduced to
the level of a nuisance. Don't be intimidated. It is a great time to use and
expand your travel skills and a wonderful way to educate the public while
enjoying an incredible place. Our blindness did not impact our visit to the
Disney parks. Of course, we used Braille and audio materials to gain
information and had to ask where the end of the line was or where the
FastPass machines were located. Be prepared to wait in long lines but make
it fun! Disney is an experience of a lifetime! Take time to experience the
magic!