[nfbmi-talk] ongoing ada/504 complaint state of mich against blind

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Aug 19 13:30:20 UTC 2014

August 19 2014 On-going complaint Against BSBP and State of Michigan

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 484458

joeharcz at comcast.net

810-516-5262

To: Several

All,

This is a part of a systemic complaint and partial documentation of system-wide violations of the ADA and Section 504 against all persons who are blind in the State of Michigan.

This is Director Edward Rodgers speaking on the issue of ADA compliance at the Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons February 7, 2014 meeting (from transcripts):

“         12                       I mentioned to you that we do have a

         13       couple committees, and I won't belabor those points,

         14       recognizing and working on the issues that we think we

         15       need to work on.

         16                       One of the other things our staff is

         17       involved in now that I'm really kind of excited about

         18       because I think it's something that was probably 20 years

         19       late or 15 years late in getting started, and that is

         20       four of our employees who are all either totally or

         21       almost totally blind are working and are serving on a

         22       committee with the techy experts from the Department of

         23       Technology, Management and Budget, in other words, DTMB,

         24       and they've already had I believe two meetings, and they

         25       are coming up with a list of priorities for state web

                         Metro Court Reporters, Inc.   248.426.9530

                                                                      50

          1       pages that will be accessible.  And as I go around and

          2       give speeches, I talk about accessibility in this area

          3       because we are woefully behind the ADA in making the

          4       state web pages accessible to not just the general public

          5       who is blind, but our employees.  If you'll recall,

          6       20 percent of our staff are blind, and there's other

          7       blind folks that work in government, also.  For instance,

          8       there's a lady who I've known for quite a while that

          9       works for MRS who does things with coordinating their

         10       hearings, et cetera, she's total, has a dog, and there's

         11       web pages she can't access to do her job some days, she

         12       has to have somebody do it for her.  So we have -- the

         13       committee, as I understand it, has, with my input and

         14       some input from other staff, have put together a priority

         15       list of things to be accomplished this year by that

         16       particular committee so that by the end of this fiscal

         17       year, those pages will be accessible.

         18                       The classic example I like to use is one

         19       of my employees, even though he's totally blind, is a

         20       deer hunter, been hunting since he was a kid before he

         21       lost his sight, goes out with his brother, goes out with

         22       his two cousins and his uncles, and they go hunting every

         23       year, bow and arrow, and rifle.  I've said to him, you're

         24       not going to catch me out in the woods with you, but I'd

         25       probably shoot myself anyways.  But to make a long story

                         Metro Court Reporters, Inc.   248.426.9530

                                                                      51

          1       short, he can do the hunting, he can't go online and get

          2       his hunting license.  He either has to have somebody do

          3       it for him, or he has to go into a DNR office.  So those

          4       are the kind of hurdles that we want to eliminate, and I

          5       think this committee is a step in the right direction.

          6                       It took me, I started -- sometimes I

          7       don't tell you things because I'm at the initial stage

          8       and there's really nothing to tell you yet because I

          9       haven't got commitments, but I started last August or

         10       September trying to talk DMB into doing this, I finally

         11       got at a high enough level of discussion with somebody in

         12       DTMB that we're able to create this task force and start

         13       them down the road of that.  And I'm really excited about

         14       that, because one of things that ought to be accessible

         15       to everybody, by golly, is the state web page.  It's not

         16       even accessible to me in some areas.  There's one thing

         17       that I work on with time and record keeping that I need

         18       assistance from Sue because it's totally inaccessible to

         19       me.  That's ridiculous, because it's a system that's been

         20       in place for ten years and is still not accessible.  So

         21       we're cognizant of these issues, and we are working on

         22       them I think, and I think we're heading in the right

         23       direction.

         24                       We do have a list that we have put

         25       together and are putting together, it's not complete yet,

                         Metro Court Reporters, Inc.   248.426.9530”

Now this is a statement documenting the known violations of the ADA and Section 504 that exist to this day against all people who are blind. Moreover, effective communications from all State entities was to have been accomplished by no later than January 26, 1992 under implementing regulations, Title II. So I think this state missed some deadlines.

In addition Mr. Rodgers himself is a documented, serial ADA violator.

Oh, by the way note the open statement here that the Michigan Administrative Hearing System isn’t accessible to blind ALJs. It isn’t accessible to blind complaintents either adjudicating cases even for Vocational Rehabilitation Services! (That too is long and copiously documented.) And it fundamentally denies us due process and equal protection under the law system wide! (People should reference Tennessee v. Lane in these regards which states state and local courts must comply with the ADA.

So it is long since time for him and the State of Michigan to be sued.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr