[nfbmi-talk] Fw: proof of the sellout

David Robinson drob1946 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 01:09:45 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: joe harcz Comcast
To: terry Eagle
Cc: Mark Eagle ; David Robinson NFB MI ; Larry Posont NFBMI Pres. ; Fred wurtzel ; mary wurtzel ; J.J. Meddaugh NFB MI ; Derek Moore ; Michael Powell NFB MI
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 11:32 AM
Subject: proof of the sellout

MICHIGAN COUNCIL OF THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED

POSITION STATEMENT REGARDING

COMMISSION FOR BLIND PERSONS

TO:             Michigan Council OF Rehabilitation Services Executive Committee

FROM:       Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired Resolutions Committee with Knowledge of the MCBVI Executive Committee

DATE:        July 14, 2014

Background:

When Executive Order 2012-02 was initially released in February, 2012, several organizations of and for the blind had concerns about many of its provisions. Contrary to the strategy of some organizations, the Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired (MCBVI) chose to work constructively and productively to amend the order to better suit the needs of its constituents. As a result of this approach MCBVI was invited to participate in dialogue with representatives from the Governor’s office, Deputies from the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), and the Director of Department of Human Services (DHS). As a result of our input, changes were made culminating in the current Executive Order 2012-10.

During subsequent meetings MCBVI representatives raised the following questions:

·        Why was the Michigan Council for Rehabilitation Services member’s terms defined while Commission for Blind Persons member’s terms were not?

·        What is the mechanism to allow for consumer input to the Commission for Blind Persons regarding such issues as program ideas, suggested policy changes, ideas for improving services?

Position:

We are greatly concerned about the long delay in the formulation of structural and functional guidelines for the Commission for Blind Persons. MCBVI feels that this lack of guidance and organization is seriously impairing the delivery of services to the blind community.

We look forward to working with you in our mutual quest for constructive change.