[nfbmi-talk] Mickey and Minnie Have the Magic Touch with Accessibility at Disney

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 20:08:29 UTC 2014

Walt Disney World Provides Accessibility for Blind Guests

by Deborah Kendrick

The first time I visited Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, my immediate

reaction was that it was a kind of accommodations paradise. At that time, my

impression wasn't rooted so much in disability issues as in baby concerns!

My daughter was six months old, and we were ecstatic to discover that each

Disney theme park included a baby center--a facility filled with rocking

chairs and changing tables, and supplies like diapers, baby food, and

bottled juice.

When a staff member (Disney refers to them as Cast Members) pulled my family

out of one long, hot line to bring us to the exit for quicker access because

he didn't want my guide dog to melt in the heat, well, I thought it just

couldn't get any better.

This was 20 years ago -- before the Internet and GPS devices, so the fact

that Disney made available a Braille guidebook was equally astonishing and

wonderful. The book outlined the various attractions and provided a written

description of park layout.

Over the years, the Disney parks have enhanced accessibility provisions for

people with all disabilities. Disney has also made strides toward using

technology to enhance theme park accessibility to people with sensory

disabilities. Specifically, captioning, assistive listening devices, tactile

maps, and audio description have been incorporated into many Disney World

attractions.

During a recent impromptu visit to Disney World with a visually impaired

friend, I recognized a perfect opportunity to explore exactly how these new

accessibility features offered to guests who are blind or visually impaired

measure up.

Entering Epcot

For readers who have not had the Disney World experience, a few words of

explanation are in order. Florida's Disney World actually consists of four

theme parks: Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center, Hollywood Studios, and Animal

Kingdom. Each is packed with experiences and can easily occupy a full day.

Having only one day, we chose to spend it in Epcot Center. En route to

Disney World, we checked the website and phone line and learned that in each

park's guest relations center, items that enhance accessibility for people

who are blind can be obtained. When we entered Epcot Center, we went

directly to Guest Relations for these items.

We were offered three options: A Braille guidebook containing description of

attractions and services; a book of tactile maps of the various areas of the

park; and an audio device for listening to description at those sites where

it was available. Each item requires a $25 deposit. Wanting to leave no

avenue to access neglected, we deposited $100 and took away one guidebook,

one book of maps, and two audio devices.

It warrants mentioning here that, unfortunately, the Cast Member working the

counter in Guest Relations was only marginally informed. She could name the

available items, fetch them for us, and run the credit card, but she was

unable to answer many questions. Somewhat dismayed that the guidebook was so

large, for example (11 by 11-inch pages held together with a plastic comb

binding), I asked why it was double-spaced throughout and so much larger

than the book the park offered a decade ago. Because my friend had low

vision, we were all eventually able to conclude that the reason seemed to

lie in the fact that Braille and print were on every page.

When given the audio devices, I asked about the controls and was told we

didn't need to touch anything.

"We plan to be here all day," I told her. "Is there a power button we should

press to turn the units off for saving battery power?'

The batteries, she assured us, would last the day. For a sweet demeanor and

general willingness to help, she would get high marks. Her lack of

familiarity with the devices designed to make the experience richer for us,

however, falls more than a little short of typical Disney World standards.

After exiting Guest Relations, I took a few minutes to acquaint myself with

the tools we had been given. By using all three items -- the Braille

guidebook, the tactile maps, and the audio device -- I was able to glean a

fair amount of information regarding our surroundings. Although our Cast

Member had told us only that the device would deliver audio description, it

turned out to be much more. Again, a less intrepid or experienced user of

technology may never have realized what this device had to offer.

The (Somewhat) Amazing Audio Device

The device resembled a slightly old-style personal digital assistant,

weighing probably close to a pound and measuring roughly 3 inches wide by 5

inches long by 1 inch thick. At the top was a standard headset jack to which

a one-sided earpiece (that could fit comfortably on either ear) was

attached. A single piece of molded plastic, the headphone was the type that

has a curved half circle that goes behind the ear, and a flat disk, about

the size of a quarter, that rests close to, but not in, the ear. It's

exactly the right kind of earpiece for listening to a mobile device while

also catching all ambient sounds.

The lanyard attached to the device was unfortunately not intentionally

adjustable. As issued, it placed the device itself at about waist level for

one of us and lower for the other. I say it was "not intentionally"

adjustable because I did manage, by fiddling judiciously with the various

velcro bits, to shorten it sufficiently to have the device at chest level, a

much more manageable position for wearing over a long period of time.

Taking Control

Now, let's talk about the various controls on the device.

With the front of the unit facing you and the lanyard at the top, there is a

single row of controls across the bottom. As indicated above, we were given

no instructions, but this turned out to be one of those occasions in which

having fiddled with countless pieces of electronic gadgets over decaes was a

definite advantage.

The controls have a rubbery feel and each is distinctly shaped.

First is a diamond shaped button that wakes up the device. Next is a square

button that delivers any GPS information currently available or repeats the

most recent announcement. In the center is a circle of four arrow-shaped

buttons around a center control, and finally, to the right of this circle of

five controls are a pair of triangular-shaped left and right arrow keys that

increase or decrease volume.

I soon discovered that pressing the center button launched a menu of eight

items that could be navigated by pressing the up/down or left/right arrows

around the center and then pressing the center control to make a selection.

Consistently, these menus included:

area description

attractions

rest room locations

food and beverage available

entertainment

service animal relief areas

exit menu

Pressing the center of the scrolling circle announces the beginning of the

current menu with "1. Area Description." By using either up/down or

left/right arrow keys, you can move through the menus. When you hear the

menu you want, pressing the center button again selects the choice and

prompts that particular recording to play.

Maintaining the Magic

If there is a single quality that permeates all four theme parks at Disney

World, it is undoubtedly magic. Not dark magic and not even the magic of

magic tricks, but the connotation of that word that indicates some

other-worldliness, better-than-ordinary, unmarred delight.

So does the access device for blind and visually impaired guests live up to

the high standard for magical experiences the compay sets for itself in

every realm?

It is clear that such a level was certainly the intention. The reality of

that attempt is, well, a bit less magical.

The access device has three primary functions: 1) to provide audio

information regarding immediate surroundings in a structured-menu manner, 2)

to provide general GPS information, and 3) to sync with and play available

pre-recorded audio description for several attractions.

As we approached the Spaceship Earth attraction in the Future World section

of Epcot, the unit vibrated and announced "Near Spaceship Earth."

This particular attraction is an entertaining journey through history, with

a focus on technology and communication. A professionally narrated

descriptive track has been synchronized with the sights and sounds of the

attraction itself, so that I heard a constant commentary describing words

and images throughout the experience. Although the description sometimes

lags behind or leaps ahead of the actual image appearing, it was thrilling

to have the visual description so readily available.

Upon exiting the attraction, the device remains silent until either the

information menus are activated (to seek information regarding nearby food,

entertainment, etc.) or until the unit's GPS detects that you are

approaching another landmarked point. In the latter case, when it works, the

device will vibrate and announce "Land Pavilion" or "Near Soarin" (as it did

the entire 105 minutes that we stood in the line for this particular

attraction) or some other point of interest, repeating it only if the square

button is pressed for this purpose.

As we entered another entertainment venue, the "Circle of Life" film

starring Timon and Pumba from Disney's "The Lion King," the device

automatically began playing the pre-recorded descriptive track which was

smoothly synchronized with the production.

Missing the Mark

I spent a few minutes with my braille guidebook, tactile maps, and audio

access device to acquaint myself with the topography of Epcot Center in

general and the immediately surrounding envionment of Future World in

particular. For me, having the combination of tools was essential, although

some guests with visual impairment might find the braille alone or audio

alone to be sufficient.

When that first audio description automatically began playing to describe

the scenes of Spaceship Earth, it was a genuine moment of accommodation

exhilaration. Unfortunately, the rest of the experience was something of a

downhill ride.

When you take a break in one area, the device will not allow you to access

or review the information in another area. Say, for instance, you're taking

a snack break in Future World and you want to plan ahead for World Showcase.

Electronically, you "can't get there from here." The device only makes

available the information for the area in which you are currently situated.

When we needed guidance information most--navigating from Future World to

World Showcase, for instance--the device announced that we were near Land

Pavilion long after we'd left it behind and only announced any change when

we were standing directly in front of Canadian Pavilion (the first country

attraction encountered when approaching World Showcase from the right.)

When it works--as when the device did indeed confirm that we were at the

Canadian Pavilion--it is a real equalizer. Once there, I could access the

menus containing information regarding the attractions, food, entertainment,

etc. for that particular area. As we moved past Canadian Pavilion, I soon

heard "United Kingdom Pavilion" announced and its pre-recorded information

regarding the pub, the shops, and the entertainment became available. There

are ten countries in the World Showcase and information, presumably, has

been pre-recorded for each, as well as descriptive audio synchronized with

attractions there. I say "presumably" because, despite assurances received

earlier, my friend's device completely died before we left Future World and

mine lost power just past the United Kingdom. We had picked up the devices

at 10:30 am, and their batteries were depleted at 1:30 and 3:30

respectively.

Final Impressions

Developing a single device that contains recorded guidebook information, GPS

info for navigation, and audio description synchronized with visual

attractions is a brilliant and commendable approach to providing

accessibility for blind and visually impaired guests. Staff who distribute

these devices, however, should be familiar enough with them to provide basic

demonstrations to guests, and batteries should certainly be able to last a

full day. With technology advancing as rapidly as it does, current devices

could undoubtedly be updated to be smaller and lighter and to pinpoint GPS

location with more accuracy. Since all guests, with and without

disabilities, are certainly sometimes interested in looking ahead to read

about attractions around the corner or across the lagoon, the device should

include the capability to listen to information about attractions beyond

one's immediate location.

The braille and tactile maps were extremely useful. Combining braille and

print in one book makes little practical sense, however, and if the two had

been separated into individual booklets, each could have been done in a

smaller, more manageable format.

But did we "Have a magical day," as Disney World Cast Members like to say?

Of course we did. Disney World is still on my list of favorite places and I

can't wait for the opportunity to test drive the tools for accessibiity in

the other three theme parks.