[nfbmi-talk] first 2 tweets

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Feb 6 11:18:02 UTC 2014

Not Christine here, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on all counts Terry.
I as well have both worked in the field with people with intellectual and
other developmental disabilities, and have advocated for my brothers and
sisters over years to get out of institutional settings of all types.
Moreover, one thing the Supreme Court made clear in the Olmstead decision is
that like all other civil rights laws the ADA is indeed an integration
mandat.

We have seen on this list the closure of state run slave shops in Rhode
Island and severe fines and penalties for years of exploitation of people
with disabilities in those shelterred shops.

As per BSBP and its placements, let alone closures we know that Lisa Kisial
outright lied at the last MCRS meeting when she said BSBP exceeded its
goals. In fact the state plan supplement which was posted to this site
should exactly the opposite and that BSBP failed three of six of its
standards and indicators.

Aside from the correct issue of folks in the BEP program often making in
fact below minimum wage at certain locations I'm wonderring what BSBP is
going to put in to its plan about the numerous folks who've had their
licenses yanked altogether?

No justice for them either in the rigged, discriminatory Michigan
Administrative Hearing System especially with Zimmer actually running BSBP
and being final judge and jury. Oh and not to mention the fact that BSBP
spent more than $184,000 to the attorney general's office and untold
ammounts of VR funds for the likes of legal assistants. I mean there the
legal deck is sure stacked against the average blind person and especially
one without meaningful income.

No due process or equal protection under law for the likes of us.

Anyway did anyone notice that the BSBP so-called commission meeting is
tomorrow with no notice and no information while at the same time the
Michigan Council of Rehab Services (MCRS) is meeting? By the way the latter
is now our Statewide Rehabilitation Council and they should be asking, no
demanding the data and accountability we are asking for.

Joe