[nfbmi-talk] first 2 tweets

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 09:19:08 UTC 2014

Christine, I do agree with you.  My years of experience in the developmental
disabilities rehabilitation field tells me that persons with even what is
considered significant cognitive disabilities can be placed in intergrated
employment in the competitive workforce, if there exists a dedication to a
belief in the dignity and respect of a person with a disability, that each
individual has innate talent and ability, and a wonderful value to self and
society through the workforce, if only the time and resources were utilized
to assess, identify, and develop and enrich those abilities, even of the
most significantly challenged person with a physical or developmental
disability, or mental illness.

I can attest to a significant decline in behaviorial issues and incidents,
when the focus was placed on the person, abilities identified, developed and
enriched, and the person was active, employed, and possessed a sense of
self-worth and being productive, rather than sitting idle and bored in a
group home setting, and the focus being only on the correct dosage of
medication to control behaviorial issues, solely for the benefit of staff,
doctors and pharmacies.  Statistics show that 3 to 6 p.m. is the highest
crime time in a day, when young people are not kept occupied and doing
something of value for themselves or another, such as employment or
community involvement, other than mischief and criminal activities.

My experience includes such a person centered approach during my 10 years as
an employer in the BEP.  Which raises a question from something Christine
pointed out.  Are the BS4BP counselors getting placement closure credit for
competitivw intergrated employment when a client, blind or sighted , are
placed in subminimum wage income snack bars and vending locations?

I don't possess the funds to inquirw and pay for such an answer, just as I
do not possess the funds to pay for my BEP training, despite  being a SSDI
beneficiary.  I cannot comprehend why BS4BP staff have to charge for
placement information, considering there is so little of placement of
willing blind persons available.