[nfbmi-talk] this is a tragic cause of blindness

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Jan 18 02:15:12 UTC 2014

Though being akin to Gandi's perspective in his view that an eye for an eye
makes the whole world blind I cannot say, being a human, flawed and not
saintly as I am that I don't think these creeps shouldn't be hung up by
their privates to say the least. I'm just not a saint.

But the point really is what do we do as a civil society with the people so
damaged by these creeps?

I say that we are morally obligated to make their world as safe, meaningful
and perpuseful as we can do.

Oh and back to the young woman, actually a teen at the time who was a victim
of the abuse and whom I was a student with at MCB TC years ago.

All of we older fatherly types were enraged at her story and her angst. Man,
oh man we just wanted to protect her and I'll tell you all we wanted to kill
the bastard who put this young lady in such fear at his release from prison.

Or at least all the guys I knew did so. And we meant it and really we did.
But, we were powerless over such great things and besides that sort of
revenge meant nothing to help this young lady really except to comfort her I
guess.

What did make some sort of difference was our and others solidarity with
her. Our common comfort. And, of course the experience, strenght, and hope
that she did not have to exist in either fear or loathing.

Her only exit was through acceptance and through education, where she didn't
have to repeat the sins and experiences of her past.

Oh, sorry for the emotional issues here all, but I ran in to this young
woman a few years later and she rememberred the experiences, the kindnesses
and was still a little bit screwed up by the system and all of it. But, she
was ever so much more of a pure inspiration to me than I ever could be to
her making a very long story so much shorter.

For thisyoung lady in spite of her abuse and fears. In spite of her
inadequate educcation. In spite of being the product of a mother, who was
white by the way so no racism here please, was the youngest child of eight
and each of her siblings was from a different dad, or rather, a different
sperm donor.

And in spite of all this this remarkable young lady survived and flourished.
Maybey not to be a super-human. Or super-blink. Or whatever the measure of
success is in these times.

But, this young woman was and is loving, kind, and works to be the best
person she can be in a troubled world and in spite of all odds.
\
Or at least I think so...

I mean we lost contact now about seven years ago. I thought of her like my
own daughter and through our own estrangements in life.

Still I saw this young lady blossem in to womenhood. And sorry for the poor
grammar and the emotion, but I did think of her like my own daughter and
there is a whole lot of emotional stuff falling over those water falls too
let me tell you all.

I'm not religious per se personally, but I have no qualms in saying, "God
bless the child."

And let me tell you though while being a most unperfect parent and not one
to judge lightly I must also say, "Screw the abuser and the perverts who rob
our children of everything, most especially their humanity."

And, yes Terry, I am like most others. I'd like to gouge this
son0-of-a-bitches eyes out. I really would. And if I thought it could
prevent or change anything I'd do it. I really would.

I'm kind of like Nelson Mandella in these regards. For I don't believe in
non-violence in moral terms, again being no saint, but only in tactical
terms being most practical.

Still, this young lady, whom I'll never name was only in fear of her
perpretator. She didn't really hate him. She said, "Hate only kills me."

She really said that. And Terry and all I can't wrap my mind around that
either. But there you have it.

I guess all one can say is she was and is a better person than I am.

It's all I can say.

Joe