[nfbmi-talk] another accessable doc from lipton interview

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sun Mar 23 12:29:02 UTC 2014

(Letter to Lipton from MDE on systemic complaint from pdf)

Rep. Ellen Cogen Lipton (District 27)

Table with 2 columns and 5 rowsFrom: Keesler, Venessa (MDE) <KeeslerV at michigan.gov> Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:25 AM To: Rep. Ellen Cogen Lipton (District 27); Heidi Zabik Cc: Flanagan, Mike (MDE); Larvick, Wendy (MDE) Subject: EAA special education complaint Table endRepresentative Lipton

MDE staff from the Office of Special Education and our legislative liaison, Wendy Larvick, will be working with you on

your complaint. Outside of that formal complaint process, however, we want to assure you that we are reaching out to

the EAA to help provide additional training and information to improve their processes in this area, ideally before the

start of this next school year. The director of our Office of Special Education, Eleanor White, has been meeting with the

individual hired by the EAA to work with special education throughout the year, and has recommended that we

extend/expand our meetings to include building-level administrators to make sure all of those individuals are fully

briefed on process, protocol and expectations regarding services for students with disabilities. Ensuring that the EAA

has the support they need in order to provide high-quality special education services is important to MDE. We believe

that working through multiple channels will help them improve their special education delivery and support strong

outcomes for students with disabilities.

Thank you

Venessa Keesler

Venessa A. Keesler, Ph.D.

Deputy Superintendent, Education Services

Michigan Department of Education

keeslerv at michigan.gov

Fax: 517-335-1186

1