[nfbmi-talk] comments on our list

David Robinson drob1946 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:58:00 UTC 2014

Dear Federationists,

   It appears that the creation of a new list serve for governmental affairs has caused some heated discussion and misunderstanding.  First, I have read the e mails sent by our members and have seen nothing that would insult or condemn anyone.  I agree that we all have different talents and determine what we can bring to the Federation, but I also bellieve that the strength and absolute base of this organization is made up of our chapters and divisions.  All the extra activities are great and build confidence and skills of blindness and all of us should choose what we want to do, but each of us should also be a contributor to a strong chapter or division if at all possible.
    It is difficult for me to understand some people's definition of a list serve.  Our list serve is for the business of the organization and issues or information that are relevant to the blind of Michigan.  This right is given to all, even to non members.  I am somewhat confused on where I should post information.  For one, I would want many to see what I have to convey.  I have my interst and it is not in some of the items that are posted to the list and yet, I do not ask them to go to a different list.  I would not want the NFB of Michigan sayiang that I do not have the right to post a message if I find it important to me and important for the organization or to the blind.  What is important?  I am the only one that can determine that at the time I post.
   I think that we all need to stay off our high horses and process this new environment carefully.  We know as individuals we have rights under the law, and we as an organization have obligations to our members, and we need to know the balance.  I have not heard any arguements toward adjusting the list serve for social and non Federation activities, and yet it is our list.  We all need to know information that is important to secure our rights,and we all need to have other activities, but we should not be killing one for the sake of the other.
   I for one, believe I can and will post to whatever list I choose with whatever information I believe to be useful and relevant.  If I don't want to read your e mail I will deleat it.  If you don't want to read mind, please feel free to deleat it.  Let's not get into a pushing contest to see who is the toughest.  This is not building the Federation,and everyone knows that I believe that building the Federation to be stronger and meaningful in Michigan is my goal.

Dave Robinson