[nfbmi-talk] Job Opening

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Oct 25 19:29:12 UTC 2014

How is holding a Michigan Drivers Licence for most of the jobs discussed an
essential function of the job?

Re:
Essential job functions are the fundamental duties of a position: the things
a person holding the job absolutely must be able to do. Essential job
functions
are used to determine the rights of an employee with a disability under the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). An employee who can't perform the
essential
job functions, even with a reasonable accommodation, isn't considered
qualified for the job and isn't protected from discrimination.

Why Essential Job Functions Are Important

Under the ADA, employees are protected from disability discrimination in the
workplace. However, employers don't have to hire an employee who can't do
the
job, regardless of whether or not the employee has a disability. Essential
job functions are used to determine which employees are protected by the ADA
and which are not.

An employee who is otherwise qualified (for example, because the employee
has the degrees, license, and experience required for the position) is
protected
from disability discrimination if he or she can perform the essential job
functions. It doesn't matter if the employee requires an accommodation from
the
employer to do so: As long as the employee can perform the essential
functions of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, the
employee is
protected from discrimination by the ADA.

This is why the labeling of job functions as "essential" or "nonessential"
is so important. If a function is truly essential, and an applicant or
employee
cannot perform it even with a reasonable accommodation, then that person is
not qualified for the job as a legal matter. The person cannot bring a
disability
discrimination lawsuit against the employer, even if the person couldn't
perform the essential job functions because of a disability. On the other
hand,
if a function is not truly essential, the employer cannot exclude a person
with a disability from consideration for the position just because that
person
can't perform the function. Legally, it may not play a role in the employer's
decision-making process.

Which Job Duties Are Essential?

As the name suggests, essential job functions are the fundamental, not
marginal, duties of a job. A job duty is an essential function if any of the
following
is true:
List of 3 items
. The reason the job exists is to perform that function. For example, an
essential function of a pilot is to fly planes.
. Only a few employees can perform the function.
. The function is so highly specialized that the employer hires people into
the position specifically because of their expertise in performing that
function.
list end

In determining whether a job function is essential, the Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission (the federal agency that enforces the ADA and other
discrimination
laws) looks at these factors:
List of 7 items
. the employer's assessment of which functions are essential, as
demonstrated by job descriptions written before the employer posts or
advertises for the
position
. whether the position exists to perform that function (if the entire job
consists of one function, such as loading and unloading boxes or entering
information
into a database, then than function is essential)
. the experience of employees who actually hold that position
. the time spent performing the function
. the consequences of not performing the function
. whether other employees are available to perform the function, and
. the degree of expertise or skill required to perform the function.
list end

The weight each factor receives will depend on the facts. For example, a
security guard may rarely (if ever) have to use a weapon. However, the
position
exists to guard valuables, and a security guard who was unable to use a
weapon when one was required would be at great risk (not to mention
ineffective
at the job).

by:
Lisa Guerin,