[nfbmi-talk] Taxis and Service Animals in D.C.

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 15:41:54 UTC 2015

Blind passenger cites WUSA9 video in taxi lawsuit

An ongoing investigation into D.C. cabbies landed in D.C. Superior Court and
it's a case that could forever change taxi service in the District. WUSA

Erin Van der Bellen and Russ Ptacek, WUSA 8:34 a.m. EDT March 17, 2015

Yellow Cab passing Eric Bridges

Yellow Cab passing Eric Bridges(Photo: WUSA9)

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- An ongoing WUSA9 investigation into D.C. cabbies
landed in D.C. Superior Court and it's a case that could forever change taxi
service

in the District.

The lawsuit against four D.C. cab companies calls for damages and a
permanent order to prevent taxi companies from discriminating against the
blind and

people with service dogs..

Still images used from

WUSA9's May 2013

undercover investigation documented D.C. cabs passing blind passengers with
service dogs and going 100 feet down the street to stop for Investigative
Reporter,

Russ Ptacek,

That passenger, Eric Bridges filed a lawsuit today against Elite Cab, Grand
Cab, Pleasant Taxi, and Yellow Cab.

"I might add that I am not just filing this complaint against these taxi
companies on my behalf but rather also on the behalf of my friends and
family and

colleagues," said Bridges who works for the American Council of the Blind.

The WUSA9 report is specifically identified as a basis for the lawsuit which
charges violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and
discrimination.

"The incidents alleged in the complaint are just a few examples of the
systemic discrimination that blind individuals with service animals face on
a daily

basis," said Matthew Handley, Director of Litigation at the Washington
Lawyers' Committee in a statement.

"The Cab Company Defendants have all contributed to this systemic
discrimination and illegal activity by engaging in, and allowing their
drivers to engage

in, a pattern and practice of discrimination," Handley said.

"I feel very strongly that the day that I spent out in the rain, in the cold
rain doing this work with channel 9, in was incredibly frustrating, it was

demoralizing, and it showed clear discrimination," said Bridges.

In the lawsuit, Bridges is asking for damages as well as an injunction
forcing taxis to serve the visually impaired as well as those with service
dogs.

Only Yellow Cab responded to our calls denying the claims and saying it has
a strong track record of providing accessibility transportation.

"The rights of passengers seeking taxicab service should be fully preserved
and respected," said Yellow Cab President Roy Spooner. "Yellow Cab, however,

has not discriminated against blind passengers with service animals, and
will be completely vindicated through the judicial process.

In our 2013 investigation, of 42 cabs WUSA9 tested, 20 cabs or 48 percent
either drove right past the passenger with a disability in favor of another
fare,

took them to the wrong location without warning, or charged an illegal extra
fee.

Source:

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2015/03/16/dc-taxi-disabled-visually-impaire
d-lawsuit-/24865085/