[nfbmi-talk] Taxis and Service Animals in D.C.

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Wed Apr 1 21:52:34 UTC 2015

This type of discrimination is very hard to prove and it seems like this
staged setup is one good way to approach it. With a called ride like an
Uber, the driver's intent is to pick up the passenger who requested the
ride, so when they deny the ride because of a service animal, the
discrimination is obvious. When a cab driver goes passed a blind person
with a guide dog or a cane for that matter, the blind person is in many
cases not even aware they were just passed up for another fare. I would
assume that they were properly trying to hail a cab, or at a designated
cab stand.

The problem usually stems from poor or inadequate training from the
companies, whether it be cabs or ridesharing and knowledge and
application of the laws vary widely by city.

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
J.J.