[nfbmi-talk] Discovering Opportunities for Employment and Success Seminar

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Thu Apr 2 04:16:00 UTC 2015

Thank you Larry for your support of the DOES Seminar. We had roughly 25
in attendance throughout the weekend, many of which were attending an
NFB event for the first time. Seeing the empowerment in students,
whether it was learning skills necessary to get hired, or simply going
from the meeting room to the restrooms without sighted guide for the
first time, provided a first-hand reminder of why we need to continue
doing events like this.

Students learned what to put and not put on a resume, how to present
themselves at a business lunch, and strategies for approaching tough
interview questions. We also had some great discussions surrounding
tough questions such as when to disclose your disability and how or when
to request accomodations. Fred presented an excellent talk on nonverbal
communication that was well-researched.

In addition, we heard Terri Wilcox's story of how she got involved in
the NFB, got some tips on useful iPhone apps from Jeff, discussed the
importance of NFB training centers, and talked about state and national
scholarships.

Participants were given a thumb drive with handouts from the presenters
as well as NFB information, literature, and audio. Several of the
participants were quite interested in both follow-up seminars on
additional topics and attending state or national convention.

Logistically, the event ran under budget. In addition, we have the
contact information for all participants so we can keep people
up-to-date with future events. We'll also endeavor to connect people to
local chapters.

Naturally, there will be areas where we can improve, and a feedback
survey will be sent to the participants in the coming days. One of the
challenges we recognized is that high school and college students are
often at a different place when it comes to looking for jobs, whether
it's a first job or a long-term career.

I need to give a ton of credit to Jordyn who put together the agenda for
the weekend, which was packed and included a lot of useful information.
Thanks also to Candice Chapman, who joined us representing the National
association of Blind Students.

Thanks again, and I hope this event can serve as a foundation for the
future.

Best regards,
J.J.