[nfbmi-talk] Subminimum Wage Forum - Tuesday April 21

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 18:10:59 UTC 2015

  ORGANIZERS FORUM: Subminimum Wages for Workers with Disabilities and our
Fight to End the Antiquated Practice

TUESDAY, APRIL 21, 1-2 pm Eastern time, 12-1 Central time, 11-12 Mountain
time, 10-11 am Pacific time

Call-in: 1-860-970-0300
Passcode: 193134#

Hear from a representative of the National Federation of the Blind talking
about the Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act and the
victories that have been achieved on the state level in creating
competitive, integrated employment opportunities for people with
disabilities. Representatives from other disability organizations (to be
announced later) will also give their perspective. Has your state or
organization taken steps to help phase out the discriminatory practice of
paying people with disabilities subminimum wages?  Come share your stories
and hear from others who are passionate about ensuring that people with
disabilities are paid fair wages.

We will also hear an update on New Hampshire -- the first state in the U.S.
to pass legislation making it illegal to pay people with disabilities less
than the minimum wage!

Sorry for the short notice! Please forward to your lists ASAP.

To give us an idea of who joins our calls, if you are interested in joining
on Tuesday, please fill out this quick form!
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dHAxWEV
5Y3h3MUtrcW1LYXhTcjZyYUE6MQ>
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dHAxWEV5
Y3h3MUtrcW1LYXhTcjZyYUE6MQ

CART: The call will have real-time captioning (CART)! The website where you
will be able to view the captioning is
<https://2020captioning.1capapp.com/> https://2020captioning.1capapp.com.
Username: forum. Password: forum. Thank you to the National Disability
Leadership Alliance for sponsoring the captioning of this call.

** If you need additional accommodations to participate in the call, please
let us know as soon as possible.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS! The Organizer's Forum has a call on the 3rd Tuesday of
each month, 1-2 pm EST (10-11 am PST).

NOTE: We have a listserv for discussion on these issues. It's
<mailto:organizersforum at yahoogroups.com> organizersforum at yahoogroups.com;
We also have our separate announcement-only listserv to allow everyone to
easily get notices about the Organizer's Forum, called
<mailto:disabilityorganizing at googlegroups.com>
disabilityorganizing at googlegroups.com. Please email us to be added.

We also have a Facebook page! We can use this is a way to continue our
conversation beyond the monthly calls. Please "like" Organizer's Forum on
Facebook.
<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?cropsuccess&id=680444432#%21/pages/Orga
nizers-Forum/228971863811531?sk=info>
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?cropsuccess&id=680444432#!/pages/Organiz
ers-Forum/228971863811531?sk=info

Background:

The Organizing Workgroup of the National Disability Leadership Alliance
hosts these calls the third Tuesday of every month as a resource for
disability organizers, in an effort toward building the organizing capacity
of the disability community across the country. They generally follow the
format of a Welcome followed by 2-3 experts in a given area speaking for a
few minutes on their experiences, advice and challenges. The calls include a
20-30 minute question and answer period.

To ask questions via CART: Sign-in to the Chat function on the right side of
the transcript and type your question.  One of the call facilitators will
read out any questions posted there.

Because we want to maximize the generously donated CART services, we will
begin the call promptly at 1pm and end the call promptly at 2pm (eastern
time).

  _____

Posted by: Jessica Lehman <jlehman7 at gmail.com>