[nfbmi-talk] Netflix Adding Audio-Description

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 13:31:17 UTC 2015

Netflix Begins Audio Description for Visually Impaired

At Netflix, we work hard to continually improve the experience for our
members when viewing movies and shows on our service, including providing
accessibility across devices. Now we're expanding our accessibility options
by adding audio description on select titles, beginning today with our new
critically acclaimed series, Marvel's Daredevil.

Audio description is a narration track that describes what is happening
on-screen, including physical actions, facial expressions, costumes,
settings and scene changes. Customers can choose audio narration just like
choosing the soundtrack in a different language.

In coming weeks, we'll add more titles, including current and previous
seasons of the Golden Globe and Emmy award-winning political thriller House
of Cards, Emmy award-winning comedy-drama series Orange is the New Black, as

well as Tina Fey's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and the epic adventure series
Marco Polo.

Netflix is actively committed to increasing the number of audio-visual
translations for movies and shows in our English-language catalogues. We are

also exploring adding audio description into other languages in the future.

Over time, we expect audio description to be available for major Netflix
original series, as well as select other shows and movies. We are working
with studios and other content owners to increase the amount of audio
description across a range of devices including smart TVs, tablets and
smartphones.

Stay tuned.

Tracy

Tracy Wright is the director of content operations at Netflix.

Posted by Tracy Wright \

Original Link:

http://blog.netflix.com/2015/04/netflix-begins-audio-description-for.html